Phone records helped detectives from Berbice track down the prime suspects in the murder of Crabwood Creek vendor Saeed ‘Sayo’ Hamid, whose burnt remains were found on Friday behind a temple at D’Edward Village.
A senior police official confirmed this yesterday, but said that although the suspects have confessed, they are not telling investigators why they carried out the gruesome killing.
“They are not saying if they were paid to do it, but we are hoping to make a breakthrough (today),” the official said.
There is some suspicion that the killing is linked to another murder case in which Hamid was due to give crucial testimony.
Hamid’s charred remains were discovered behind a Hindu temple that is owned by one of the detained men.
The discovery was made after police arrested two suspects identified as Satrohan ‘Bluey’ Madray, owner of the temple located at Bennett Dam, D’Edward Village, Corentyne, Berbice; and ex-cop Antonio Balrup, of Reliance, East Canje Berbice.
Madray and Balrup were arrested on Wednesday. A source said that they were always considered to be the prime suspects in the slain man’s disappearance.
The men reportedly admitted to bludgeoning Hamid and burning his corpse behind Madray’s temple and home.
They then led ranks to the location on Thursday where it was found.
Both suspects were previously charged with murder and other offences. However, Madray was found not guilty in the Berbice High Court and freed for the murder of his close friend in October 2017.
Balrup’s murder case was discharged at the Albion Magistrate Court in 2015 and he was subsequently set free.
Saeed ‘Sayo’ Hamid left his home at Crabwood Creek on April 19, 2018. He had reportedly told his youngest son, aged 16, that he was going out and will return to prepare dinner.
The following day, the teen made contact with his eldest brother who lives in Georgetown and informed him that their father had not returned.
A report was made by the siblings on April 20 at the Springlands Police Station.
Jul 15, 2018It was a repeat of last year’s CASA tournament held in Guyana when Barbados ended Guyana’s 12-year dominance of Caribbean Junior Squash. The Guyanese had to settle for the runner-up spot as...
Editor’s Note, If your sent letter was not published and you felt its contents were valid and devoid of libel or personal attacks, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: [email protected] / [email protected]