Hansraj Ori, the US-based Guyanese who was shot during the Easter Monday disturbances at Windsor Forest, is considering legal action against the Guyana Police Force.
The 60-year-old Justice of the Peace was discharged from the Woodlands Hospital yesterday afternoon. He is still to undergo surgery to remove a pellet from his neck. Doctors at the Balwant Singh Hospital had removed two pellets from Ori’s abdomen.
Ori, who resides at Richmond Hill, New York and Windsor Forest, said that while he is considering legal action, he is still to discuss the matter with an attorney.
The man told Kaieteur News that he was an innocent bystander and at no time had he participated in the Easter Monday protests.
He said that several relatives had come in from overseas and were cooking at the seawalls last Monday.
A sister-in-law confirmed on Tuesday that the trouble had started after the owner of a music set had continued to play his music although the police had ordered him to stop.
She said that Mr. Ori left the scene for awhile after hearing gunshots by the main road. He was rejoining the relatives at the seawalls when he was shot.
Mr. Ori said that he was heading back to the seawalls when he observed a trailer in the street near the Windsor Forest ‘big bridge’.
“The next thing I know, a jeep came and the commander and six black clothes came and start to fire bullets and I get shot.” Ori said that he told persons nearby that he had been shot and they placed him in a vehicle.
“The boys put me in a car and they pull the chap (driver) and me out and say ‘Lef he leh he bleed deh.’
However, a nephew, who had a vehicle, managed to evade the police and take Ori to Balwant Singh Hospital.
“I have never been shot before. I have never been admitted to a hospital before. The pain is bad.”
Mr. Ori said that he has been set back financially by the surgery, which cost over $300,000.
According to him, he had been asked to lodge a further $300,000 at the Balwant Singh Hospital.
Some residents accused the ranks of beating and firing indiscriminately at peaceful participants who were on the seawall.
But police have alleged that some revelers turned violent after the police ordered a music set to be turned off.
A police statement said that the mob burned tyres and blocked a roadway.
According to the statement, persons on the seawall began to throw stones, bottles and other missiles at the ranks and rushed them and attempted to take away their firearms.
Three of the ranks were injured, and the police responded by discharging a round from a shotgun at the crowd which caused them to disperse. Several persons were taken into custody.
According to the statement, two cars and a minibus were damaged.
All of the arrested persons have been released on bail, and Kaieteur News understands that some of them are to be charged next week.
Jul 11, 2020Following consultation with the South American member associations, FIFA and CONMEBOL have agreed to postpone the upcoming South American qualifiers for the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 initially...
Jul 11, 2020
Jul 11, 2020
Jul 09, 2020
Jul 09, 2020
Jul 08, 2020
By Sir Ronald Sanders There have been unhelpful and destructive attacks by leading members and zealous supporters of the... more
Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: [email protected] / [email protected]