Latest update May 23rd, 2026 5:48 AM
Oct 21, 2022 News
– Corentyne Chamber sees loosening up of restrictions
Kaieteur News – The Upper Corentyne Chamber of Commerce & Industry has indicated that the Guyanese fishing vessels that were detained in neighbouring Suriname have been released and that the authorities in the Dutch-speaking country have somewhat “loosened up on some restrictions.”
The Chamber, led by businessman and former Mayor of Corriverton Hemchand Jaichand said in a statement that the boats that were detained and required to be stationed in Nickerie, Suriname, have since been released. These fishing vessels, Kaieteur News understands, are owned and used by Guyanese and were detained for fishing in Suriname waters without licences.
However, as it is, the Suriname authorities, despite its previous agreement with the Guyana government to issue 150 fishing licenses has not fulfilled the promise. This had caused the Government of Guyana, inclusive of the President, Vice President and Minister of Agriculture to have continuous discussions with Suriname.
The Chamber in their statement said that they are satisfied “with the Government of Guyana’s pronouncements on the fishing license issue which we have been grappling with for quite some time.” The Chamber noted that, “with the recent statement, President Irfaan Ali and Vice President, Bharrat Jagdeo, the Chamber has seen a softening of the attitude of the Surinamese towards our fisher folk.” Moreover, the Chamber is hopeful that the interventions of the government will push further to remove other restrictions such as the barrier placed to issue licenses fisher folk in Berbice (Corentyne). “We are hopeful that our Surinamese counterparts will see the issuance of license to our fisherfolk as a routine application. Our fisherfolk have long enjoyed friendly relations with our neighbouring counterparts and we believe with the softening of attitudes on this matter, we will continue to enjoy good relations,” the Chamber further said.
Late last month, this newspaper had reported that an agreement between Guyana and Suriname for the latter to deliver 150 SK fishing licences, allowing Guyanese to operate there, had hit a snag as local authorities say they have exhausted all diplomatic routes in addressing the matter.
As a consequence Guyana’s Ambassador to Suriname, Keith George was recently summoned by the Interim Minister of Foreign Affairs, International Business, and International Cooperation (BIBIS), Krishna Mathoera, following statements made by Vice President Jagdeo alleging corruption in the issuance of fishing licences. This move made by Suriname prompted the Guyana Government to issue a statement detailing its efforts to resolve the issue diplomatically. Despite these efforts, Guyana had said then that the desired outcome has not been achieved and Guyanese fishermen continue to be harassed by Surinamese authorities. Notwithstanding, the Government said it remains committed to good neighbourly relations with Suriname.
Jagdeo during a outreach in Berbice had alleged that corrupt practices by authorities in Suriname have stalled its promised licensing of 150 local fishing vessels. He said too that Guyana will be seeking CARICOM’s intervention to resolve the continued harassment of its fisherfolk that has been continuing as a result. “We have to start playing hardball now,” Jagdeo told fishers in Region Six on September 16. According Jagdeo, who spoke to fishers at both Port Mourant and Skeldon, alleged that the Minister is linked to several people controlling the fishing boat licenses and profiteering off of Guyanese fisherfolk, which has snared the agreement between the two Governments to license 150 fishing boats here. Attorney General Anil Nandlall back in September had also threatened legal recourse to resolve the issue.
Kaieteur News understands that Guyanese had been fishing in Suriname for decades and were even instrumental in the development of that country’s fishing industry. Fishermen interviewed by this newspaper have all indicated knowing Guyanese fishing in Surinamese waters. It was said that as the industry grew, Guyanese eventually started buying licences through middlemen to operate there. During an interview with Chairman of the Greater Georgetown Fishermen Co-op, Mohamed Khan a few months ago, he had in fact told this newspaper that during his fishing days, he operated in Suriname. He said he was also part of the development of the Surinamese fishing industry, like many other Guyanese.
It was the increase of SK licenses by Surinamese middlemen that eventually forced Guyanese to seek the intervention of the Government. In a push back from industry stakeholders in Suriname, the situation has seemed to have “opened a can of worms and made matters worse” as one affected fisherman had put it. While Guyanese with licences caught their fish and sold it in Suriname or Guyana and could have left their boats in Guyana, they now have to sell their caught in Suriname, which has reduced their product cost because of influx and control by the Surinamese market. They also have to leave their boats in Suriname and find a different mode of transportation to and from work. The authorities have also demanded a reduction in the size of fishing vessels which locals say is unsafe.
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.
Your children are starving, and you giving away their food to an already fat pussycat.
May 23, 2026
Top individual honours following dominant 2026 Windies C’ship… By Clifton Ross Kaieteur Sports – New West Indies Regional 4-Day champions TT Red Force not only claimed this season’s title...May 23, 2026
(Kaieteur News) – There are people who dream about falling. Others dream about showing up to school late. I once dreamt that I was being chased through Bourda Market by a giant tax return. But nothing prepared me for the dream I had recently about the proposed Development Bank — a bank so...May 17, 2026
By Sir Ronald Sanders (Kaieteur News) – An attempt is now being made by a few member states of the Organization of American States (OAS), using procedural manoeuvres, to prevent a proposed “Declaration on the Rights of Persons and Peoples of African Descent” from proceeding to the OAS...May 23, 2026
Hard Truths by GHK Lall (Kaieteur News) – Say it is not so, Mr. President! No way, Excellency Ali! Can’t be! Not in this Guyana, Pres Ali. Nevah, nevah, in oil rich Guyana, Master Governor Ali. Guyanese buying one tennis roll on credit? Not one bag, BUT ONE TENNIS ROLL. And a glob/dab of nut...Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: glennlall2000@gmail.com / kaieteurnews@yahoo.com