Latest update May 23rd, 2026 12:30 AM
Sep 06, 2020 News
The Ministry of Health (MOH) is examining the options for COVID -19 vaccinations.
During a virtual press conference held on Friday, Minister of Health Dr. Frank Anthony has said that the government is engaging Russia to access the COVID-19 vaccine, Sputnik V, from that country if it proves to be successful in fighting off the deadly virus.
Dr. Anthony noted the government is in talks with a number of countries to explore its options once the vaccines become available.
As such, Dr Anthony stressed that the engagement does not mean a decision has been made to buy the vaccine but that if another round of trials proves that it can be used, then Guyana wants to be able to have it as an option.
“Many other vaccines are being developed. What we want to do is understand the vaccine they are offering – how it works, the science behind it – and if it is proven to be effective, then we’ll make those decisions as we go. But I think it is important that we engage early so that we have many options to choose from,” he added.
According to the Minister the initial discussion has begun with the Russian embassy in Guyana.
He noted that the reviews have so far shown that the vaccine is safe but the Government will await the Phase 3 trials to see how it turns out.
Dr. Anthony said that on Thursday a Ministry of Health team would engage with the Russian Government in a tele-conference to learn more about the particular vaccine.
In addition, Dr. Anthony said that his Ministry is in discussions with Global Vaccine Alliance (GAVI) to explore the other options available.
GAVI has been in contact with PAHO and UNICEF together they have been leading efforts to procure and supply vaccines, as part of the global vaccine plan of the COVID-19 Vaccine Global Access Facility (COVAX Facility).
With several vaccine candidates showing promise, UNICEF outlined in a statement that it is working in collaboration with the PAHO Revolving Fund to lead efforts to procure and supply doses of COVID-19 vaccines on behalf of the COVAX Facility for 92 low- and lower-middle-income countries which vaccine purchases will be supported by the mechanism through the GAVI COVAX AMC as well as a buffer stockpile for humanitarian emergencies.
As such, UNICEF will also serve as procurement coordinator to support procurement by 80 higher-income economies, which have expressed their intent to participate in the COVAX Facility and would finance the vaccines from their own public finance budgets.
UNICEF will undertake these efforts in close collaboration with WHO, GAVI, CEPI, PAHO, World Bank, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, and other partners.
The COVAX Facility is open to all countries to ensure that no country is left without access to a future COVID-19 vaccine.
Meanwhile, Henrietta Fore, UNICEF Executive Director noted that “This is an all hands on deck the partnership between governments, manufacturers, and multilateral partners to continue the high-stakes fight against the COVID-19 pandemic.”
“In our collective pursuit of a vaccine, UNICEF is leveraging its unique strengths in vaccine supply to make sure that all countries have safe, fast, and equitable access to the initial doses when they are available,” She said.
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.
Your children are starving, and you giving away their food to an already fat pussycat.
May 23, 2026
Top individual honours following dominant 2026 Windies C’ship… By Clifton Ross Kaieteur Sports – New West Indies Regional 4-Day champions TT Red Force not only claimed this season’s title...May 23, 2026
(Kaieteur News) – There are people who dream about falling. Others dream about showing up to school late. I once dreamt that I was being chased through Bourda Market by a giant tax return. But nothing prepared me for the dream I had recently about the proposed Development Bank — a bank so...May 17, 2026
By Sir Ronald Sanders (Kaieteur News) – An attempt is now being made by a few member states of the Organization of American States (OAS), using procedural manoeuvres, to prevent a proposed “Declaration on the Rights of Persons and Peoples of African Descent” from proceeding to the OAS...May 23, 2026
Hard Truths by GHK Lall (Kaieteur News) – Say it is not so, Mr. President! No way, Excellency Ali! Can’t be! Not in this Guyana, Pres Ali. Nevah, nevah, in oil rich Guyana, Master Governor Ali. Guyanese buying one tennis roll on credit? Not one bag, BUT ONE TENNIS ROLL. And a glob/dab of nut...Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: glennlall2000@gmail.com / kaieteurnews@yahoo.com