Jan 21, 2020 Letters
I refer to an article in Kaieteur newspaper on Saturday, 18th January, titled ‘ERC investigates Coalition, PPP/C for racial slurs at rallies’.
As a citizen of Guyana and a candidate to the poll on the PPP/C list for the March 2nd General and Regional Elections, I wish to state the following:
• I am appalled and deeply distressed that a constitutional commission like the Ethnic Relations Commission will inform me and the public by way of a press conference that I am under investigation for a racial slur made at the PPP/C Kitty rally and the said commission lacks the decency, ethics, or principled behaviour to even notify me formally and prior that there is an alleged infraction by me and an investigation has been launched.
• I am unaware of any racial slur emanating from my lips at anytime, anywhere whatsoever. Is the ERC announcement of an investigation of a statement by Juan Edghill a manufactured controversy that is designed to satisfy an end known only to operatives within the commission?
• As a former Chairman of the Ethnic Relations Commission, I believe I am well versed with a deep understanding of the Representation of the Peoples Act, the Racial Hostility Act and other constitutional provisions and statutes that address the issue of inciting and exciting racial hostility among the people. It is either that the current commissioners of the ERC are ill-advised, ill-informed, misguided or they have refused to inform themselves that would have led to the reporting that is alleged to have come from the commission at their press conference.
• Have the commissioners of the Ethnic Relations Commission lost their independence, their impartiality or lack the moral fortitude to stand up to political pressure and they are succumbing to political direction to launch a personal attack against me.
• I am prepared at any time and at any place to stand public scrutiny by an impartial body.
What has happened to the principles of natural justice? An announcement to the public that a party is under investigation when there has been no notification is tantamount to an attack on that party and an attempt to impugn character. I therefore expect a full unequivocal apology from the ERC and a retraction of the statements made forthwith.
Once the feathers of a fowl have been plucked and blown asunder by the wind, even if it is gathered cannot be reunited usefully with the fowl. I am not viewing this as a misstep or a mistake; this is more than likely a calculated move. Such behaviour must not be allowed to continue unchecked. Can I be advised who is really the Chairman of the ERC?
Bishop Juan Edghill
Oct 19, 2020By Sean Devers Kaieteur News – ‘Government plans to stay connected to Guyanese despite Political loyalties’ these were the words of the Honourable Minister of Culture, Youth and Sport...
By Sir Ronald Sanders Kaieteur News – A noteworthy event occurred on the afternoon of Saturday October 10, that could... more
Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: [email protected] / [email protected]