Feb 12, 2019 News Comments Off on UG beefs up security following bomb threats
The University of Guyana (UG) is set to beef up security measures following bomb threats that virtually shut down its operations since last week.
Last Tuesday, threats of bombs being strategically planted on the grounds of the University of Guyana [UG] circulated on the campus.
Students and staffers were aware of the bomb threats via an anonymous social media post.
In response to the attacks, UG vice Chancellor Professor, Ivelaw Griffith, told a press conference at the Education Lecture Theatre at the University’s Turkeyen campus yesterday that the board has since activated an emergency preparedness plan.
According to the Vice Chancellor, UG is collaborating with the Guyana Police Force (GPF) to help tightened security measures on Campus.
“The University does not have the luxury of ignoring the threats; every threat is taken seriously. Beginning Wednesday, everyone will have to display an ID [Identification Card].
“If you don’t have your staff or student ID, you’ll have to have some other form of identification to gain access to the campus.”
“This campus has 51 different buildings and we have talked for a while about electronic key access. So if you are a student and you have a legitimate reason for being in a building when we have the system that allows that electronic access, you can use your ID,” Professor Griffith added.
Additionally, he told the news conference that there will be restriction of visitors to the back gate on the campus.
“There will also be random searches of vehicles that enter the University compound.”
Professor Griffith told the press, too, that efforts are underway to put systems in place to help students, who missed lectures following last week’s threats.
The Vice Chancellor noted that the University will be meeting with the students to work out such issues, especially those that are preparing for exams.
He said so far, the Police’s Bomb Disposal Unit has given its clearance that no bombs or foreign devices were found on UG’s grounds.
“Therefore classes will be back to normal soon,” added Griffith.
Crime Chief, Lyndon Alves, who was also at the media conference, revealed that while the police have already brought charges against one person in relation the bomb threats— investigations into the matter are still continuing.
Alves said that police are looking to locate other persons who may be involved in the crime.
Last Tuesday, a social media post by an individual claiming to be ‘KIRA’ resulted in pandemonium on UG‘s Turkeyen Campus.
According to the message “Calls were made to several people issuing a warning!!! They have planted two bombs in haversacks in the University of Guyana. Secure the students! Get them out. Please do not IGNORE This!!! Please do not ignore this!!! If my body is found it is because I spoke out.”
Shortly after, Police in a statement said that the force was probing the disturbing posts which first surfaced after threats were leveled against the privately operated Nations School.
The Director of Nations School, Dr. Brian O’Toole, was recently shot, a development which some believe is linked to the ongoing threats.
Sep 24, 2020DERBY, England – Peaking at the right time. That is how West Indies Women’s new ball bowler Shakera Selman described her career after an impressive performance in the first T20 International...
The total number of coronavirus cases in Guyana stood at 2, 535 on Wednesday of which there are almost more than 1,000 active... more
Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: [email protected] / [email protected]