The Guyana Olympic Association (GOA) would be joining other affiliates of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) in observing Olympic Day which is celebrated worldwide on June 23rd, each year.
As stated on the IOC website: “Olympic Day is much more than just a sports event, it is a day for the world to get active, learn about Olympic values and discover new sports. Based on the three pillars move, learn and discover, national Olympic Committees are organising sports, cultural and educational activities throughout the world.”
The highlight of Olympic Day in Guyana will be the 10k Walk/Jog/Run this Sunday (June 24) where all are invited to participate. Start time is 06:00am (06:00hrs) and in order to participate persons must be 10 years and older.
Following is the race Route: Starting at the Thomas Lands YMCA, Thomas Road, north on Camp Street, east along Carifesta Avenue and the Rupert Craig Highway to turn in the vicinity of the Access Road, Liliendaal. The course then continues west via Kitty Public Road, south into Vlissengen Road, then east into Thomas Road to finish at the Start Line.
Awards: All participants will receive an IOC certificate; the first 400 will receive a T-shirt.
Prizes for the Team Run are: 1st placed Team – $72,000; 2nd placed Team – $48,000; 3rd placed Team – $36,000. Teams must comprise four (4) male and two (2) female runners.
Meanwhile, affiliates of the GOA are also invited to organise activities to commemorate Olympic Day and the spirit of Olympism. Following is a list of other activities being held to commemorate Olympic Day are:
1. Badminton – Activity: Open male, female and mixed doubles tournament. Location: National Gymnasium. Date/Time: June 22nd/7:00-10:00pm; June 23rd/1:00-5:00pm.
2. Athletics – Activity: National Senior Championships. Location: Leonora Stadium. Date/Time: June 22nd/6:30-10:00pm.
3. Weightlifting – Activity: Development competition and Fitness Challenge. Location: Ogle Community Centre. Date/Time: June 23rd/9:00am.
4. Rugby – Activity: 7-a-side matches: Senior female; U-18 Boys; U-18 Girls. Location: National Park. Date/Time: June 23rd/4:00-6:00pm.
5. Volleyball – Activity: 6-a-side Knockout Competition. Location: Linden. Date/Time: June 24th/11:00am-5:00pm.
6. Cycling – Activity: Youth cycling programme. Location: National Park Circuit. Date/Time: June 30th/10:00am.
7. Swimming – Activity: Splash Fun competition. Location: Dr Haynes Sports Complex, Amelia’s Ward, Linden. Date/Time: July 1st/11:00am-5:00pm.
8. Taekwondo – Activity: Taekwondo tournament – Poomse and Gyrugi categories. Location: Guyana Teachers’ Union Hall. Date/Time: June July 8th/12:00-7:00pm.
9. Table Tennis – Activity: Cadet and Juniors Table Tennis Tournament. Location: National Gymnasium/Cliff Anderson Sports Hall. Date/Time: June.
May 27, 2020The Guyana Boxing Association (GBA) was on Monday informed that the four boxers stranded in Cuba have been given approval to return to Guyana. This information was given during informal discussion...
May 26, 2020
May 26, 2020
May 25, 2020
May 25, 2020
May 25, 2020
With less than half the votes completed so far in the recounting project, Joe Harmon, (the only man in history who insinuated... more
By Sir Ronald Sanders Caribbean countries are, once again, being placed in a difficult position as they try to navigate... more
Editor’s Note, If your sent letter was not published and you felt its contents were valid and devoid of libel or personal attacks, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: [email protected] / [email protected]