Two teams from the Pan American Health Organisation (PAHO) will be investigating mercury emission at the Guyana Geology and Mines Commission (GGMC) Brickdam complex.
The Ministry of Public Health has taken the lead on the issue.
Minister of Public Health, Volda Lawrence, at a joint press briefing today with Minister of Natural Resources Raphael Trotman, said the first team is expected in Guyana within days.
That team will assess the clean-up efforts that were completed last week at the GGMC Brickdam complex after the Guyana Gold Board (GGB) ceased gold burning in April due to health and safety concerns.
“They can be able to give a validation to the pronouncements issued by our local body. That team will then set the stage for the other investigative team that will come in and look at the protocol, standards of our PPE and so on,” Minister Lawrence explained.
The PAHO team will be working closely with the GGMC and GGB. Additionally, the two ministries will examine their databases to determine previous mercury levels and exposures with the aim of reviewing same to ensure it meets international standards, Minister Lawrence noted.
Minister Trotman said the government will spare no effort to ensure the safety of workers and those who come into contact with mercury across the mining industry. “Ultimately, we wish to restore confidence both in the workers and in the public that this issue is being addressed,” he said.
No evidence that the deaths are mercury-related.
Minister Trotman reinforced, “There is no evidence to say anyone has died.” He made the statement in relation to recent reports in local media outlets attributing the deaths of four GGMC workers to mercury exposure.
The Ministry has previously noted, “there is simply no existing empirical data which establish that mercury is responsible for the deaths of miners and GGMC workers in recent times”.
The Public Health Board will conduct a review of pathology reports of those deaths to address these concerns effectively.
However, Minister Lawrence cautioned media practitioners not to alarm persons with the information they are releasing. “At the Ministry of Public Health, we are open; so, please call for any clarification that you may need, so we can help you to put your information out there,” she said.
Aug 11, 2020The Americas Board was informed about the decisions of the FIBA Executive Committee regarding the FIBA Calendar for World and Senior Continental Competitions in case the November window of the...
Aug 11, 2020
Aug 10, 2020
Aug 09, 2020
Aug 09, 2020
Aug 08, 2020
Clement Rohee has a letter in the August 1, edition newspapers. When you read it, you cannot help but think that Rohee is... more
Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: [email protected] / [email protected]