Mar 21, 2018 News
Extradition proceedings for Troy Anthony Thomas, who is wanted in the U.S. for murder, will commence on Friday, according to acting Chief Magistrate Sherdel Isaacs-Marcus, who will be hearing arguments on behalf of the Governments of Guyana and the United States. Thomas has been further remanded until such time.
Arguments will also be presented by Attorneys-at-Law Nigel Hughes, Bernard DaSilva and Darren Wade, all of whom have been retained by the 31-year-old man.
Representing the State is Police Prosecutor Gordon Mansfield, while Attorney-at-Law Stacy Goodings is representing the Government of the United States.
When the matter came up yesterday for the disclosure of statements, Goodings disclosed statements that she said contained evidence against Thomas to the prosecution and defence. Goodings handed over about three folders containing documents.
Among the documents is a statement by one Armilla Gladstone, whose purpose, Goodings said, is to tender documents on behalf of the U.S government. The documents also include a copy of a statements issued under Section Six of the Fugitive Act and statements from two senior officers in the Guyana Police Force. Also handed over by Goodings were documents in relation to the Extradition Treaty and the Methodology that will be used to proceed with the hearing.
Thomas, who told police he had been living in Guyana for some eight years, was held last Wednesday, March 14, after police swooped down on a house at Liliendaal, Greater Georgetown.
Police say that Thomas, who resided overseas at 32nd Street, South Ozone Park, Queens, New York, U.S.A, fled to Guyana after allegedly gunning down another Guyanese, 20-year-old Keith Frank, in Queens, New York, seven years ago.
It was disclosed that the operation to apprehend Thomas had started since January.
Thomas reportedly fled to Guyana shortly after an arrest warrant was issued for him in the U.S. for the murder of Frank, who was slain on December 11, 2011. Frank succumbed to a bullet wound to the torso, allegedly during a confrontation with Thomas and others. The victim, whose daughter was eight months at the time, died two months before he would have celebrated his twenty-first birthday. He had reportedly been living in the U.S. since he was 12.
Reports in U.S. media stated that the killing occurred outside a South Richmond Hill party.
Frank’s mother, Carol Kyte, was quoted as saying that her son was attending a birthday party near 132nd Street and 109th Avenue and ran into some other men with whom he had an ongoing dispute.
It is alleged that a group of other Guyanese men were at odds with one of Frank’s friends over sophomoric quibbles like break-dancing or the attention of girls in the neighbourhood.
During his first court appearance, Thomas denied ever being charged in the U.S for murder. On that occasion, Goodings had opposed bail being granted to Thomas, after citing the serious nature of the offence and the fact that he poses a risk of flight.
The lawyer also disclosed that there are no records at the Central Immigration Office to support that Thomas had entered Guyana.
Guyanese you are being prostituted by your politicians!
Dec 04, 2022Kaieteur News – The Khalil siblings, Jason-Ray and Ashley, were crowned the country’s men’s and women’s National Squash champions, when the Guyana Squash Association (GSA) brought the...
Kaieteur News – A person by the name of Andre Brandli has stated his qualifications and listed his academic status... more
By Sir Ronald Sanders Kaieteur News – (The writer is Antigua and Barbuda’s Ambassador to the United States of America... more
Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: [email protected] / [email protected]