Latest update May 23rd, 2026 12:30 AM
Jan 07, 2018 News, Peeping Tom
– CH&PA announces
Without proper provisions in place, no squatters will be removed. This was the message that was sent by the Chief Executive Officer of the Central Housing and Planning Authority (CH&PA), Lelon Saul.
Saul addressed the issue of squatters at the Ministry of Communities’ conference that was recently convened.
He said that the organisation is yet to develop a location for the squatters in Sophia, Georgetown. As such, he pointed out that Cummings Lodge is a location that is being ‘eyed’.
“Even though they have been served with notices we will not be moving against them,” Saul asserted.
He sought to remind that there are persons in Timehri who are still close to the Cheddi Jagan International Airport who are yet to be relocated, while there are several who will be regularised.
Also, as informed by the CEO, there are quite a few persons in Middle Road, Georgetown that are to be relocated. However, the majority of persons in this area will be regularised, according to Saul.
It was further made known that CH&PA will be meeting with City Hall to identify the engineering reserve along the canal passage in that area. Saul was advised by the Mayor of Georgetown, Patricia Chase-Green, that there are just about three homes within the zone that requires relocation.
In early October last year, the organisation conducted a demolition campaign in Sophia, where 21 illegal structures in ‘A’ Field were removed.
The homes and business places that were demolished were occupied by people who paid no heed to the notices that were issued to them, some one week prior to the demolition exercise.
Kaieteur News understands that the decision taken was not only over the fact that the lands squatted on are government reserves, but due to the alarming rate of violence and crime in the community.
Leader of the Selective Group of Sophia, Brian Sobers, said the myth about Sophia being a breeding ground for criminals happens to be only one of the few things that the CH&PA intends to change with the demolition of the illegal homes.
A document displayed that there were some 1200 squatters in the area that needed to be removed.
Following the demolition exercise, Minister within the Ministry of Communities Valerie Adams- Patterson-Yearwood yesterday announced that Sophia squatters will have until January 2018 to make the necessary arrangements to be relocated from the area.
Patterson noted that as a result of the demolition exercise in Sections ‘A’ and ‘B’, Pattensen, Turkeyen (Sophia) on October 12, a number of persons have been engaging CH&PA requesting extra time to move.
She said that the government has since granted the extension, but this was after over 200 notices were given to squatters of Sophia. Minister Patterson believes that the January deadline is sufficient time for them to relocate, since many of squatters already have house lots.
The CH&PA was offering house lots to those persons who can afford to build.
For those unable to construct a dwelling, the government is seeking funding to build core homes. The Industry community was identified as the area where the homes will be constructed.
Minister Patterson-Yearwood explained, “We don’t just want to give them a house lot, because we know if they can’t afford to build, they are going to put a shack, and all we are doing is moving one shanty town from one area to another. That is not what we want, as we relocate, we are going to upgrade.”
She reminded that the exercise will be a costly one and persons must be patient.
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.
Your children are starving, and you giving away their food to an already fat pussycat.
May 23, 2026
Top individual honours following dominant 2026 Windies C’ship… By Clifton Ross Kaieteur Sports – New West Indies Regional 4-Day champions TT Red Force not only claimed this season’s title...May 23, 2026
(Kaieteur News) – There are people who dream about falling. Others dream about showing up to school late. I once dreamt that I was being chased through Bourda Market by a giant tax return. But nothing prepared me for the dream I had recently about the proposed Development Bank — a bank so...May 17, 2026
By Sir Ronald Sanders (Kaieteur News) – An attempt is now being made by a few member states of the Organization of American States (OAS), using procedural manoeuvres, to prevent a proposed “Declaration on the Rights of Persons and Peoples of African Descent” from proceeding to the OAS...May 23, 2026
Hard Truths by GHK Lall (Kaieteur News) – Say it is not so, Mr. President! No way, Excellency Ali! Can’t be! Not in this Guyana, Pres Ali. Nevah, nevah, in oil rich Guyana, Master Governor Ali. Guyanese buying one tennis roll on credit? Not one bag, BUT ONE TENNIS ROLL. And a glob/dab of nut...Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: glennlall2000@gmail.com / kaieteurnews@yahoo.com