With the reopening of Government Schools in Guyana yesterday, some East Berbice/Corentyne (Region Six) schools are yet to receive their full complement of furniture.
Regional Chairman, David Armogan, is convinced that the contractors “pussyfooted” in providing the furniture since the contracts were awarded to several suppliers three months prior to the commencement of the new academic year.
Armogan said that the three-month timeframe was enough for the contractors to deliver the furniture. He is still trying to ascertain what caused the delay.
Thus far, some schools including Port Mourant Secondary have only received 70 percent of the furniture. Armogan said that he has received word that the contractors will be delivering the balance of the furniture by the end of this week.
This furniture, he said, includes benches and desks for students, as well as furniture for teachers. The Chairman said that he foresaw this complication since Friday last, however not much could have been done to remedy the situation.
“It’s not like you can go and buy these furniture at a shop. These are special furniture that have to be made. We had anticipated that the furniture would be delivered and the contractors failed to do so…They failed us. They have really faulted,” the Chairman lamented.
Asked if these contractors would have supplied the Region’s schools with furniture before, Armogan said, “Normally they supply every year, but I don’t know what happened to them this time around. We really get licks this time,”
Asked what measures will be taken in the future to avoid this, the Chairman said that measures will be put in place to deal with delinquent contractors. Armogan said that delinquent contractors not being awarded with these types of contracts in the future, will be one measure that will be set in place. The issue, he said, has placed strain on the education system in the region.
Meanwhile, the Chairman said that he is unaware of parents returning home with their children because of the lack of seating accommodation. However, he assured this publication that he would be looking into the matter.
An Education Ministry Official, who was contacted yesterday, said that the Ministry is also looking into the issue.
Previous reports would show that matters relating to the shortage of furniture in Region Six on the first day of the new Academic Year are nothing new. Back in 2011, students returning to school were welcomed with a furniture shortage, which had evolved into a controversy where one Education Ministry Official, was accused of “covering up” the matter after the media had cracked it wide open following numerous complaints by parents.
In 2012, there was a recurrence which was due mainly to wanton destruction coupled with the insufficient allocation of sums by the Ministry of Education to purchase furniture. The year 2013 was no different. An inspection by the Regional Administration had found that contractors had failed to deliver the required furniture on time which had resulted in hiccups at both the Primary and Secondary School level.
Jul 07, 2020Over the last month, the Kingston Football Development Academy (KFDA) reached out to some businesses and Kingston residents near and far on an initiative to help provide COVID-19 relief hampers for...
Jul 07, 2020
Jul 07, 2020
Jul 07, 2020
Jul 07, 2020
Jul 06, 2020
The current attempts to rig the 2020 election, which have gone on for four months now have produced the incredible exposure... more
By Sir Ronald Sanders There have been unhelpful and destructive attacks by leading members and zealous supporters of the... more
Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: [email protected] / [email protected]