Police are trying to ascertain if executed South Ruimveldt resident Mark Anthony was one of the men who escaped a dragnet at Pearl, East Bank Demerara last month, when robbery suspect Seon Clarke was shot dead by residents.
Kaieteur News understands that a man that was arrested after Clarke was killed had said that an individual knows as ‘QQ’, was with him and Clarke.
Police had recovered a firearm and two cell phones that were allegedly handed over by the suspect.
Anthony, 22, called ‘QQ,’ was gunned down in Layou Street, North Ruimveldt, shortly after 22.15 hrs on Thursday, by two men who escaped in a car.
Police said that Anthony, of South Ruimveldt, was sitting on a bench in Aubrey Barker Street, South Ruimveldt, when two men with guns approached him.
Eyewitnesses said that Clarke fled into an alley before running into Layou Street, North Ruimveldt. He then reportedly jumped a fence and entered an empty lot, where the gunmen caught up with him and shot him in the chest and back.
The gunmen then fled in a car.
Anthony was pronounced dead on arrival at the Georgetown Public Hospital. Police recovered two 9mm shells from the scene.
Anthony was freed just last April on firearm and ammunition charges.
Anthony, Andrew Davis Hescott, 35, of Middle Road La Penitence and 27-year-old Ryan Hescott had the charges against them dismissed after the prosecution had failed to tender the firearms to the court on several occasions.
The first charge had alleged that on December 5, last, at Robb Street, Georgetown, they had in their possession seven rounds of ammunition without being the holders of firearm licences. It was further alleged that the men had two firearms in their possession, when they were not holders of licences.
The three men, along with now-dead Guyana Defence Force (GDF) Lance Corporal Aaron Eastman, were jointly charged with the offences.
Lance Corporal Eastman who had 10 years of service in GDF died on March 3, after he was burnt to death during the Camp Street Prison fire, which claimed the lives of 17 inmates.
According to reports, on December 5, 2015 police ranks during ‘Operation Dragnet’ stopped a motorcar on Robb Street, after observing its occupants acting in a suspicious manner. They conducted a search of the vehicle, which was reported to be bearing an obscure number plate. The lawmen allegedly unearthed guns and ammunition hidden in various parts of the car.
It was reported that concerned citizens saw the defendants in a motor car on Robb Street, acting in a suspicious manner. Police were summoned and cornered the vehicle, driven by the soldier. At the time the GDF rank was reportedly wearing a black ‘hoodie’. The vehicle was searched and the police reportedly found a .32 revolver with matching rounds under the front passenger’s seat and a 12 gauge sawn-off shotgun from under the driver’s seat.
When the quartet made their first court appearance on September 8, 2015, Chief Magistrate Ann McLennan had remanded them to prison.
Aug 02, 2020BBC Sport – Bolton Wanderers have signed Dagenham & Redbridge and Golden Jaguars defender Liam Gordon on a two-year contract. The 21-year-old, who has won five international caps for...
Aug 02, 2020
Aug 02, 2020
Aug 02, 2020
Jul 31, 2020
Jul 31, 2020
I have typed this column exactly five months after the March 2, 2020 elections. Exactly five months after the election there... more
By Sir Ronald Sanders Amid the feverish work to cope with both the public health and economic effects of COVID-19 on their... more
Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: [email protected] / [email protected]