-relatives ID shoes, parts of attire found with remains
Almost six years after they killed her and buried her body in a backyard, the husband of Babita Sarjou and his alleged accomplice are to appear in court to be charged with her murder.
While the police have obtained a high court order to detain the suspects for another 72 hours, Kaieteur News was told that they are likely to appear in court today.
While DNA samples were taken from the remains to confirm identity, relatives of Sarjou have already identified a pair of shoes and parts of the attire found with the skeleton as belonging to Sarjou.
Detectives unearthed Sarjou’s remains around 13:30 hrs on Sunday from an area behind her reputed husband’s Lot 51, Seaforth Street, Campbellville, home.
Police said that the reputed husband, Sharadananda Narine, called Anand, and his accomplice, Darel Pronton, called ‘Yankee,’ led them to the spot, located behind a zinc fence on the property.
They then dug up a skull and almost all the bones, a pair of high-heeled shoes, a brassiere, and bits of clothing from the same spot.
Police had hinted at a breakthrough late last week after detaining Narine, a businessman, and Pronton, a 35-year-old unemployed man from James and Albouys Street, Albouystown.
Evidence against the men allegedly includes statements and phone calls that Narine made to Pronton with Sarjou’s cell phone shortly after she disappeared.
Kaieteur News understands that Sarjou’s husband has stated that he was furious because he suspected that she was having an affair with a man at her workplace. He was also angry that she had taken him to court on allegations that he had posted up nude pictures of her.
It is alleged that he hired the unemployed Pronton, whom he had befriended, to kill Sarjou. Pronton was allegedly paid $50,000 and promised a trip to Trinidad. The trip to Trinidad never materialised.
It is alleged that on Diwali Night of November 4, 2010, Babita Sarjou left her mother’s home at Timehri, after making arrangements to meet her spouse, Narine, who would take her to see the motorcade at the Kitty seawall. She was also reportedly to meet her four-year-old son.
Unknown to Sarjou, Narine and Pronton had already dug her grave in Narine’s Seaforth Street backyard, two days before.
Sarjou reportedly met her husband outside the National Cultural Centre and entered his car. It is around this same area that Pronton, who was allegedly sitting in the back seat, strangled Sarjou.
With the body covered with a blanket, the two men reportedly then drove to Narine’s Seaforth Street residence. Narine reportedly reversed into the yard, and the men concealed the body in a section of the bottom house, while Pronton remained with the corpse. Around midnight, the two men then took the body to the backyard and threw it over a zinc fence and into the grave that had been dug two weeks earlier.
It remained there for close to six years, with detectives reportedly walking within a few feet of the corpse on one occasion, while searching the premises shortly after her disappearance.
Police said that the two alleged killers reportedly panicked when police revealed recently that they were reopening their investigation.
Narine reportedly enquired from his alleged accomplice if he knew of any substance that could dissolve human bones.
While police have received criticism for the way they conducted their investigation during its early stages, an official said that Narine had presented investigators with a strong alibi for his whereabouts at the time his wife had vanished.
Kaieteur News was told that things were no less challenging this time around, since Narine came into custody with an attorney. But Kaieteur News was told that police put a lot of preparation into their case before taking the suspects into custody.
Speaking about the tedious work the ranks did to crack the case and retrieve the body, the Crime Chief revealed that the suspects had indicated on Saturday where they had buried Sarjou.
To ensure that no one tampered with the remains, police kept the premises under surveillance.
He said that the grave was located in a flooded area, and the ranks had to pump the water out and also place sand-bags. Digging for the body began around 08.00 hrs yesterday and concluded at around 13.50 hrs.
Oct 23, 2019Young hockey players will now be able to erase any doubt in their minds as to where the 2019 edition of the Junior Indoor Hockey Championship will be contested after the Guyana Hockey Board (GHB),...
Oct 23, 2019
Oct 23, 2019
Oct 23, 2019
Oct 23, 2019
Oct 23, 2019
Haiti is in turmoil again. This time the countries of the Caribbean Community (CARICOM) cannot be criticised for inaction,... more
Editor’s Note, If your sent letter was not published and you felt its contents were valid and devoid of libel or personal attacks, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: [email protected] / [email protected]