Apr 05, 2016 Sports
A list of 32 teams have been listed to compete in the Annual Mayor’s Cup football tournament, which set to kick off on May 1st at Victoria Ground on the East Coast of Demerara, following the addition of the three Linden teams last week. These teams have begun preparation mode in earnest and the competition promises to be a keenly contested affair.
With the exclusion of the Elite League players, the second tier players would look to impress in this tournament in the hope of advancing their respective careers and the fortunes of their teams.
The breakdown of the 32 teams show they re from Georgetown (7), West Demerara (7), East Bank (3), Berbice (2), Linden (3) and East Coast (5) and they will be battling for a first prize of $1,000,000. The other top prizes on offer are $500,000, $300,000 and $200,000 respectively for the second to fourth place finishers.
The Coordinator in former National footballer and Coach Lennox Arthur and he has been behind this event for all of its 22 years. Arthur said that this year’s cup will form part of the 50th Anniversary Jubilee celebrations. The tournament concludes on May 29.
Arthur and the organising committee are still looking for corporate support and are encouraging potential sponsors to come on board. Interested persons or Companies can contact the Coordinator on telephone 626-9351.
The games will be of 90 minute duration and if no result is derived after this period then 20 minutes of extra time will be contested. No further result of deadlock will be determined by penalty kicks.
Players involved in this tournament must be affiliated to their respective associations where the invited clubs are drawn. No entry fee is required. The tournament is governed under the rules and directives of the Guyana Football Federation. Players with double yellow cards or red cards will be penalized in accordance with the rules of the competition and the GFF.
The tournament, meanwhile, will open on May 1st at the Victoria Ground with a triple header which brings together Federal Winners versus Beacon at 4:30pm, Ann’s Grove play Black Pearl and Golden Grove tackle Police in the nightcap.
Listed below is the first half of the tournament:
ANNUAL MAYOR’S CUP SOCCER TOURNAMENT FIXTURES 2016
Sunday May 1, 2016
1. Federal Winners Connection vs. Beacon – 4:30pm Victoria Ground
2. Ann’s Grove vs. Black Pearl – 6:30pm Victoria Ground
3. Golden Grove vs. Police – 8:30pm Victoria Ground
Monday May 2, 2016
4. Buxton (Bakewell) vs. Grove Hi Tech – 4:30pm Victoria Ground
5. Victoria Kings vs. Agricola – 6:30pm Victoria Ground
6. Mahaica vs. Herstelling – 8:30pm Victoria Ground
Thursday May 5, 2016
7. Stewartville vs. N.A. United- 4:30pm Den Amstel Ground
8. Beavers vs. Cougars – 6:30pm Den Amstel Ground
9. Pouderoyen vs. Hope United – 8:30pm Den Amstel Ground
Friday May 6, 2016
10. Uitvlugt vs. Soesdyke – 6:30pm Den Amstel Ground
11. Dem Amstel vs. Kuru Kururu – 8:30pm Den Amstel Ground
Saturday May 7, 2016
12. Santos vs. Eagles of Linden – 6:30pm GFC Ground
13. Camptown vs. Mile Rock – 8:30pm GFC Ground
Sunday May 8, 2016
14. Northern Rangers vs. Eagles – 4:30pm GFC Ground
15. Riddim Squad vs. Bagotsville – 6:30pm GFC Ground
16.Western Tigers vs. Wales – 8:30pm GFC Ground
Saturday May 14, 2016
17. Winner of 1 vs. Winner of 3 – 4:30pm Victoria Ground
18. Winner of 2 vs. Winner of 4 – 6:30pm Victoria Ground
19. Winner of 5 vs. Winner of 7 – 8:30pm Victoria Ground
Jul 30, 2021Past and future athletes showcase power… Kaieteur News – The oldest and youngest competitors at last Sunday’s Guyana Amateur Powerlifting Federation (GAPLF) Intermediates and Masters...
Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: [email protected] / [email protected]