Oct 12, 2015 News
– woman claims spouse fabricated story
Police have questioned a Berbice woman and one of her friends following claims by her estranged husband that she had twice hired individuals to have him killed.
A police official said yesterday that the man’s claims seem to be authentic, and they are now attempting to locate the men who were allegedly hired to abduct and kill him.
Kaieteur News understands that this development occurred after a woman, who detectives questioned, admitted that she had accompanied the wife to Georgetown and that they had picked up two men there.
While the women are not in custody, Kaieteur News understands that police are to question them further this week.
A woman who claims to be the man’s wife has since contacted Kaieteur News to allege that her husband has fabricated the entire story. She also made counter-claims that the man has fleeced her and others numerous times, and that it was she who had rescued him from poverty.
The alleged plot is said to be linked to a property dispute.
The man, who is from the Corentyne, has said that he only escaped death because the individuals that his wife hired were confidence tricksters who pretended to be hit men.
The husband said that he has been married for some eight years to his third wife. He said at the time, he was wealthy and the couple had a joint bank account.
But he claimed that four years ago, his wife withdrew all the cash from their joint account without his knowledge.
She also took him to court to get half of their assets. According to him, a Judge gave him the matrimonial two-flat home at Berbice, while she was given a vehicle. He also agreed to give her $300,000 within a year.
But she took him to court when a year passed and he hadn’t given her all the money.
At this time, they were living in separate sections of the home.
He said that last year, two men snatched him from outside his home and took him by vehicle to the back of a Corentyne community.
He said that the men then explained that his wife had hired them to kill him, but that they had no intention of doing so.
“They told me to cooperate with them. They said that they didn’t want to harm me, they just wanted her money.”
So, according to him, the men tied him up, threw tomato paste on him, ordered him to lie still, and took photographs of his ‘bloodstained body’, to show to his wife. They then untied him.
He said that the bogus ‘hit men’ also promised to give him a recording of themselves and his wife, but never did.
He said that the following day, his wife discovered that he was still very much alive. She flew into a rage.
“She see me and she start cursing on the road,” he said. She say, ‘You ain dead? They ain kill you?’”
The man said that he visited a Berbice police station and told a senior rank about the plot on his life. He also showed the cop the photographs of his ‘body.’
He claimed that his wife made a second attempt on his life a few months ago.
Again, he was at home when two other men came calling at his gate. He said that the men showed him a forged affidavit that his wife had produced in court when she was seeking spousal support. He claimed that the men also produced a recording of a conversation between them and his wife.
Like the first two ‘hit-men,’ he said that the visitors revealed that they were hired to abduct and kill him, but had no intention of going through with the plan. “They said that they were con-men, not hit men.”
He said that the men took him to a house on the East Bank of Demerara. Again, he was tied up and had to pretend to be dead. This time, he claimed that his wife sent one of her friends to see his ‘body.’ Photographs were also taken of the ‘corpse.’
After the wife’s friend saw the ‘body’, she reportedly contacted the wife by phone and said “give the people the money, the man is dead.”
He was told that his wife handed over $2.2M to the ‘hit men.’
According to the man, the next day, he overheard his wife and the same friend asking neighbours if they had heard that he was dead.
Later, on seeing that he was still alive, his wife allegedly accused him of ‘sticking her up’ and forcing her to withdraw $2.2M from the bank.
But he said that a few weeks ago, an Attorney representing his wife served him with a legal document which stated that the house he owned was no longer his.
He was told that he had a week to remove his belongings from the property.
According to the husband, he subsequently learned that his wife had sold the house. Too destitute to hire an Attorney, he said he turned to Legal Aid for assistance to get his property back.
Meanwhile, he said he’s still paying off the $300,000 that he had agreed to give his spouse.
Jun 18, 2021Kaieteur News – Veteran Guyanese cyclist, Raymond ‘Steely’ Newton, a member of We Stand United Cycle Club is set to compete at New York’s Premiere Professional/Amateur and Community...
Jun 18, 2021
Jun 18, 2021
Jun 18, 2021
Jun 18, 2021
Jun 17, 2021
Kaieteur News – Prime Minister of Israel, Benjamin Netanyahu, has lost power in a confidence motion in which the voting... more
Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: [email protected] / [email protected]