– informant gives statement to police
Former Home Affairs Minister Clement Rohee has vehemently denied that he had knowledge of an elite police
anti-crime unit that has been fingered in the extra judicial killings of at least five persons almost two years ago.
Rohee was responding to queries from this newspaper with regards to the unit, which has been fingered in what whistleblower Lennox Wayne called ‘Two Colours’ described as executions.
Kaieteur News understands that the unit was disbanded last year after reports that they were operating outside of their mandate and were not reporting specifically to their superiors in the Guyana Police Force.
In an expletive-laced response, Rohee said that the unit did not report to him and suggested that this newspaper question Police Commissioner Seelall Persaud on the subject.
“Y’all in power now, so what de f*%k you asking me about….They never reported to me. Ask Seelall Persaud…go and sit down and wait at he office,” Rohee told this newspaper.
When told that the unit was disbanded by an Assistant Commissioner of Police, Rohee described the senior officer as an opposition-affiliated figure.
Lennox Wayne, in an explosive recording, claimed that the unit was responsible for the controversial deaths of five “criminal suspects”. He spoke of the killing of three young men on South Road, outside the K&VC International Hotel and two others in the Diamond Housing Scheme.
On October 12, 2013, cousins Jermaine Canterbury, 21, and Mark Anthony Joseph, called ‘Two Grand’, 19, and Romario Gouveia, 19, all residents of Albouystown, were shot during what police said was a shootout near the K&VC Hotel. The cousins died soon after the shooting while Gouveia, who had a gunshot wound to the jaw,
died suddenly two days later.
On December 7, 2013 at Diamond, East Bank of Demerara, Paul Bascom, a resident of Diamond Housing Scheme, and Alberto Grant, or Alberto Mustapha, 28, called Mukie, of Lot 299 Meadow Brook Gardens were shot dead during an alleged 20-minute shootout with police.
Wayne is maintaining that while the police had claimed that the men were all shot dead during armed confrontations, the youths were gunned down without firing one single bullet at the police.
In one of the incidents, the youths actually put up their hands in an act of surrender, but were still mowed down by members of the police squad.
“Dem saying that de men shoot at dem…de men ain’t discharge no round, dem ain’t had no gun, de men ain’t had no weapon, straight,” he stressed.
He said that the weapon (.38 revolver) that the police produced was one that one of the ranks brought in a haversack. He said that relatives of the dead men started to accuse him of orchestrating their deaths.
“That is how de whole country got it. Everybody know me. Remember is some youth men that me and dem used to do thing. Remember I used to thief, dat is why dem men had trust in me. Is then everybody now know dat I working with de police force,” the former convict stated.
Wayne said that it was that incident that caused him to start rethinking his link to the police, since he was now exposed to the public as a “police informer”.
On Thursday last he gave an official statement on the two shooting incidents to police investigators in the
presence of attorney at law Nigel Hughes.
A senior police official said that they will be detaining the ranks for questioning before putting up a report before seeking the advice of the Director of Public Prosecutions.
Head of the Police Complaints Authority Cecil Kennard had recommended an inquest into the matter pertaining to the shooting of the three men on South Road following complaints made by the father of one of the dead men.
Wayne, who blew the lid on the police involvement in the plot to kill popular businessman Mohamed F. Khan, knows that because of his explosive revelations, his life is in danger, but he is determined to clear his conscience of the life he once led as a police informant, which resulted in several deaths which he claimed were clear executions.
One of his revelations has since led to a Police Sergeant being charged with conspiracy to commit murder.
Wayne is presently incarcerated, awaiting trial for the murder of Lusignan Cosmetologist, Ashminee Harrryram,
A little over two weeks ago Minister of Public Security Khemraj Ramjattan, who took over from Rohee following last month’s General Elections, made it clear that all rogue cops will be rooted out from the Guyana Police Force. But while he has made a great start towards fulfilling this mandate, there is still a lot more work to be done.
Jan 26, 2020The West Demerara Cricket Association/Beacon Cafe 50 overs competition will resume today at Joe Vieira Park with Independence A facing Sawpitt CC. The competition was put on hold due to inclement...
Jan 26, 2020
Jan 26, 2020
Jan 26, 2020
Jan 26, 2020
Jan 26, 2020
Exactly a week after AFC official, Marlon Williams told me two things, Mark Benschop in almost identical fashion made a... more
The Guyana Elections Commission (GECOM) has no authority to remove anyone from the list of candidates on the basis that... more
Editor’s Note, If your sent letter was not published and you felt its contents were valid and devoid of libel or personal attacks, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: [email protected] / [email protected]