Jun 03, 2015 News
Director of Prisons Welton Trotz has assured that he will personally look at measures to ensure the safety of murder accused Lennox Wayne called ‘Two Colours’.
Wayne, the whistleblower in the explosive MFK (Mohamed F. Khan) murder revelations, continues to express concerns over his safety in the Georgetown prisons, ever since he implicated a police sergeant who was eventually charged with conspiracy to commit murder.
Yesterday when contacted, Trotz said that although he has not received any official complaint from Wayne, he will be looking into some of the security issues raised by Wayne through this newspaper.
Wayne has complained of harassment, which culminated in the withdrawal of his special diet. He believes that his troubles are stemming from his recent disclosures of the plot to kill Khan.
Khan’s dismembered remains were discovered at Cummingslodge, East Coast Demerara on September 23 last year, but nobody has been charged for his actual murder.
Wayne feels that the persons who were hurt by his revelations might try to silence him to prevent him from giving evidence in a trial that would expose the police force’s culpability in a murder-for-hire scheme.
According to Wayne, while he is capable of taking care of himself, he would like for prison officials to ensure that no avenue is deliberately left open for harm to come to him.
“To be honest, I am in for whatever they are in for, because whatever they could do, I could do too. I just have to get the right backings and I am capable of taking care of myself,” Wayne said.
But he believes that the prison authorities have a responsibility to ensure his safety since he is in their
“I am not comfortable. I request a new orderly to fetch my meals bowl. If I don’t feel comfortable with somebody handling my meals they are supposed to look into it, but they are paying me no mind…it’s as if they are opening the door for people to do me things. Is a real fight down,” Wayne said.
The whistleblower, who is in a single cell at the Camp Street prison, also expressed reservation about Orderlies (trusted inmates) accessing the keys to his cell.
“Suppose somebody come in and stab me up?” he questioned.
His concern is not far-fetched, since there have been a few cases of violent attacks on inmates at a few prison locations in the country.
But Prison Director Trotz, while acknowledging Wayne’s concern, ruled out the question of orderlies accessing the keys to the prison.
He declared, “No Orderly will have keys to his cell. The cell is opened by a prison officer.”
Wayne stated that he had requested to see the Officer in Charge of the prison but has been given the cold shoulder.
“I looking at proper security fuh meself and I don’t know what dey callin’ security. The Crime Chief visit me, so the prison authorities are aware of my situation. They suppose to be taking every precaution with me. This is not an ordinary case,” Wayne said.
Wayne is expected to give evidence at the trial of the Police Sergeant Leon Lindo who made his first
court appearance last week.
The Guyana Police Force has previously placed whistleblowers into protective custody.
The most famous being a Buxton teen gunman who remains in protective custody almost ten years after he was captured by the security forces who at the time were hunting the notorious Rondell ‘Fineman’ Rawlins and his gang.
Wayne had previously claimed that he was an informant for the police and had been on several operations with them. He said that he is terribly upset by the way he is being treated, especially since he had helped the policemen in their normal legal duties in the past.
“I was on the operation when they killed the three youth man outside K&VC, even the set at Diamond. I does be on a set of operations because I am a man of the streets,” said Wayne, who explained that he became known to the police after serving a 10-year sentence for armed robbery.
“I used to thief and after helping the police a couple of times, they promised me they will clear my background, because every time I go for a job I getting turn down. But all they did was used me and tried to make me a gunman,” Wayne stated.
Prison Director Trotz told Kaieteur News that he visited the Georgetown Prison last Sunday and was not informed that Wayne was experiencing any problems.
But now armed with such information, he will be making moves to ensure Wayne’s safety is maintained to a level of satisfaction.
Which one you want?
Oct 04, 2023GCB Senior Inter-County 50-Over tournament… Berbice vs. GCB XI Kaieteur Sports – A scorching half-century from Kevin Sinclair coupled with 5 wickets from captain Veerasammy Permaul, set up...
Oct 04, 2023
Oct 04, 2023
Oct 04, 2023
Oct 04, 2023
Oct 04, 2023
By Sir Ronald Sanders (The writer is Antigua and Barbuda’s Ambassador to the United States and the Organization of American... more
Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.