Latest update March 21st, 2023 12:59 AM
May 26, 2015 Sports
WICB Director says selection polices conveniently changes
By Sean Devers
The Guyana Cricket Board (GCB) is shocked and dismayed by the decision by what it described as the the ridiculous and senseless selection policies and decisions by Clive Lloyd led selection panel to dump long serving Guyana and West Indies batsman Shivnarine Chanderpaul.
Chanderpaul has played the most Tests by a West Indies player (164) and has 11 867 runs at an average of 51, just 86 runs short of Brian Lara’s 11 953 as the all-time run-scorer in West Indies cricket.
The 40-year-old was dropped because of his age and due to consecutive poor series in South Africa and against England when he managed just 183 runs from the six Tests. Only last year the left-hander was ranked number three in the ICC’s Test rankings.
The GCB nominated the 70-year-old Lloyd for the presidency of the WICB a few years ago even though he headed an IMC created by the previous Government aimed at replacing the GCB, while the GCB Directors again supported Lloyd last year for the Chairmanship of the WI selectors.
WICB Director and GCB Secretary Anand Sanasie came out with all guns blazing saying, “The GCB is not asking for any repayment or quid pro Quo but for decency, fair play and professionalism be exhibited by the selection panel.”
When asked how come Lloyd is saying he wants to pick younger players who are performing at Regional level and yet Veerasammy Permaul the leading wicket-taker in the four-day and second highest in the 50-over tournament was ignored in preference to Nikta Miller for the World Cup, Sanasie told the gathering that Lloyd’s policies are conveniently used. He added that Lloyd’s two-year term comes to an end next year.
Lloyd, who was good enough at 40 to score a century and two fifties against Australia in Australia in his last series, now says he is fearful that Chanderpaul will be hit if he plays now.
“Let me make it clear that the President (Dave Cameron) and Vice-President and myself tried our best to get Shiv retained in the end the selectors have the final say,” Sanasie informed.
“So to those who say that this is a WICB decision and that is not true. Shiv was never told that the match in Barbados was his last and they wanted to cover up a wrong with another wrong,” a visibly upset Sanasie declared.
“The President was hoping that things would change regarding the Chanderpaul issue but he did know his selectors were part of the plan to deny Shiv a proper send off,” Sanasie remarked.
The GCB President Drubadhur said that the Board just cannot believe nor even fathom the thought process behind the wanton dropping of the most senior, reliable and dependable batsman of the West Indies for the past 21 years.
“It is absolutely unbelievable that Shivnarine Chanderpaul has not been selected even in the squad to face one of the sternest opposition that the WI will have to face in the near future.
Is this the way that the selectors intend to treat our esteemed cricketers after more than two decades of service to the people of West Indies cricket and to be done by no other than Clive Lloyd who is the current Chairman of the WICB selectors?” the GCB top man asked.
“We trust that our selectors can find it within themselves to revisit this crucial matter of gross disrespect now being meted out to one of the greatest cricketers to have graced the field of play with this most ungrateful display to Chanderpaul. Shiv’s record speaks for itself and we are shocked at the manner that this panel is seeking to destroy him,” Sanasie said.
The GCB said they are aware that the coach had a recent discussion with Chanderpaul about his future and an appropriate exit strategy would have been worked out by all the parties.
The Board continued, “Surely it was imminent on the WICB through its esteemed selectors to have executed any such decision in a decent and fair manner with just and reasonable consideration for the wishes of Chanderpaul. That is the least we would have expected.
“The Board would like to record its extreme disappointment also over the non-selection of Narsingh Deonarine and Assad Fudadin in the WI President XI squad just after being good enough to be selected to represent WI against South Africa in South Africa,” Sanasie concluded.
9 Contracts Renegotiated
Mar 21, 2023– Ballin4Peace edged out in semis Kaieteur News – Two exciting days of basketball in the Rawle Toney 3×3 Classic at the Burnham Court culminated with Linden All-Stars retaining their...
Mar 21, 2023
Mar 21, 2023
Mar 21, 2023
Mar 21, 2023
Mar 21, 2023
Kaieteur News – A 20-year-old mechanic from the mining town of Linden died on Tuesday after a tire exploded and struck... more
By Sir Ronald Sanders Kaieteur News – (The writer is Antigua and Barbuda’s Ambassador to the United States and the... more
Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: [email protected] / [email protected]