May 17, 2015 News
Investigators on Friday upped the ante in their probe of the murder of popular businessman Mohamed F. Khan, when they arrested a retired Assistant Commissioner of Police, who has been implicated by alleged hit man Lennox Wayne called “Two Colours”.
Kaieteur News was reliably informed that detectives have also detained a sergeant who was said to be the organizer of the plot to kill Khan.
On Friday evening, detectives swooped down on the East Bank Demerara property and arrested the retired officer, who was held overnight and subsequently released last night.
Investigators had searched his house in his presence but found nothing incriminating.
“We searched the property, yes. But that is normal in any investigation of this nature. However, we found nothing of significance,” a source at the headquarters of the Criminal Investigations Department told this newspaper.
The source did disclose, however, that the decision to detain the former high ranking officer was based on telephone records that investigators managed to obtain.
The phone records reportedly linked the former officer to the murdered businessman.
Whistleblower Wayne claimed in his statement that he received a telephone call on August 9 from the police Sergeant, who informed him that Khan was seen at his lawyer’s office on Hadfield Street.
Wayne said that he was told to stake out the lawyer’s office to see when khan was leaving. It was around 14:00 hours that Wayne spotted the target and informed the police Sergeant.
It was on this day that he saw the Retired Assistant Commissioner of Police, who was allegedly also staking out the lawyer’s office for Khan.
According to Wayne, the police Sergeant subsequently pulled up with some other persons in a heavily tinted vehicle and they too waited for Khan to emerge.
When the businessman eventually left the lawyer’s office and boarded a taxi, the Police Sergeant and the Retired Assistant Commissioner followed him in their respective vehicles.
Wayne said that he was told to back off since “they told me they would take care of things from here.”
According to the source, the retired officer has provided investigators with an alibi for his movements on August 9, the day Khan disappeared.
But when shown the phone records showing that he made contact with the dead businessman that very day, the former officer admitted being in contact.
“We are now checking to see if that alibi could stand up,” the source said.
Mohamed Khan’s dismembered body was discovered on a dam at Cummings Lodge on September 23rd last, a month after he disappeared.
He detailed a scheme that pointed to the use of police ranks and even former policemen to carry out executions.
Khan had survived an execution attempt in July last year at La Grange on the West Bank of Demerara when a gunman pumped a bullet in his abdomen shortly after he returned to Guyana on a brief holiday.
Wayne, who is presently on remand for the murder of Lusignan cosmetologist Ashmini Harriram, which occurred on July 10, had admitted to being the gunman in that attempt.
In a three page statement that this newspaper was able to obtain, Wayne claimed that on July 8 last year he was contacted by the Sergeant (name given) who told him that he had a job for him…someone wanted him to kill Mohamed Khan. He was to be paid $500,000.
Wayne said that the Sergeant took him to the West Bank of Demerara and showed him where Khan was staying.
The following day Wayne and the Sergeant followed khan to the West Bank of Demerara and when the businessman made a stop at La Grange, Wayne grabbed his opportunity.
“When we reached La Grange, I collected the equipment (weapon) from (name of policeman) and I end up rolling and I shot the man. After I shot him, he did not fall and die, he end up running and jump in a car. I left and ride away and (name of policemen) left and go behind him (Khan) at the station,” Wayne wrote in his statement.
Wayne said that he did not see Khan again until August 9 at the lawyer’s office on Hadfield Street.
He learnt of his death a few days later.
Meanwhile, the recent developments have been welcomed by khan’s relatives.
His sister, Fareema Khan, told this newspaper yesterday that while they are appreciative of the work the police are doing at the moment, there is still much more to be done.
“I am reading everything, since I am the one who has been involved since his disappearance,” she told this newspaper via telephone from New York.
She said that she believes everything that the informant Wayne is saying, adding that she has been privy to his statement.
The woman said that the police have given her the assurance that they will get to the bottom of the matter, and will arrest whoever they have to.
“Leslie James (Crime Chief) gave me his word. We told him, ‘we know you guys are not going to do anything’ but the Crime Chief told us that he does not operate like that, he will get to the bottom,” Fareema Khan stated.
She said that she and the rest of the family are much more confident that justice will be served now that a new government has been elected.
“If was the PPP, they would have ducked it,” she said.
Jun 16, 2021By Franklin Wilson Kaieteur News – Guyana Football Federation (GFF) President Wayne Forde was yesterday resolute in stating that his Federation will not be making any hasty decision (s) with...
Jun 16, 2021
Jun 16, 2021
Jun 16, 2021
Jun 16, 2021
Jun 16, 2021
Kaieteur News – Are you telling the world that a coalition of parties won the government and soon after mediocrity,... more
Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: [email protected] / [email protected]