The police yesterday issued a public statement saying that following a report made by Publisher of the
Kaieteur News, Glenn Lall, against Attorney General Anil Nandlall, they have been unable to make contact with Lall.
The statement said that this would severely limit the investigations.
Lall has said that it appears that the Police are now attempting to “hoodwink this nation”.
He said that his contact information is public knowledge and that he had been in constant contact with the Guyana Police Force all day yesterday.
“If any member of the Guyana Police Force wishes to make contact with me, I can be reached at (592) 624-6456. My office number is (592) 225-8463.”
Lall said that he is willing to meet with investigating ranks in order to ensure that they get whatever information they require, so as to facilitate a speedy investigation.
In the public statement, yesterday, the police said that with reference to Glenn Lall’s report to the police of threats to him and Kaieteur News by the Attorney General and Minister of Legal Affairs, the Guyana Police Force is informing the public that Lall has submitted three prepared statements as well as an audio recording and a transcript of that recording in relation to the report made.
However, Lall said that he presented two written statements.
The police statement said, too, that the police investigators in this matter have identified a number of issues in the prepared statements that require clarification.
The Police claimed that “they have made several attempts to contact Mr. Glenn Lall in order to have this done, but their efforts have been futile.”
The Police further claim that yesterday the Police Divisional Commander of “A” Division wrote to Lall, advising that he subject himself to a police interview in order to address the required clarification.
Lall confirmed that he did receive a correspondence from the Commander on Wednesday.
The Police said that “unto the time of this press release Mr. Glenn Lall has not presented himself for the interview, nor has he made contact with the Divisional Commander regarding the letter.”
According to Lall, he was flabbergasted to see such a public pronouncement by the Police.
According to Lall, around noon yesterday, several hours before the police statement, he had called Detective Deputy Superintendent, Kingston, to enquire of the progress being made into the investigation.
Lall said that he was told by the Police rank that a statement from the reporter Leonard Gildarie was required, and that he was informed that the reporter was out of town.
Lall said that he even enquired whether a statement was taken from Nandlall in relation to the allegations made.
Commenting on the need to present himself to the police, Lall said that it is the duty of the police to pursue the investigation. He said that when he heard that the Police had issued a statement claiming that they could not make contact with him, he took it at first as a joke since he is accustomed to seeing similar hilarity published in the Guyana Chronicle and Guyana Times.
According to Lall, sometime later in the evening, he was contacted by Attorney-at-Law, Christopher Ram, who inquired of the contents of the police statement. They both went to the Brickdam Police Station.
Lall on Monday, last, lodged an official report with the Guyana Police Force after an audio recording between Nandlall and Gildarie surfaced and implicated Nandlall in a violent plot against this newspaper, its staff and owner.
Nandlall could be heard on the audio recording advising the senior reporter to get out of the Saffon Street office, which he described as a “dangerous place”.
He hinted at an intended hit on Lall and the establishment.
The Government has since come out in defence of Nandlall saying that it was a “loose private conversation which was illegally recorded and further manipulated”.
The government’s statement however did not address the contents of the recording although it admits that the recording was authentic.
President of the Guyana Bar Association, Ronald Burch-Smith, speaking in a personal capacity, has said that a number of issues raised in the contents of the audio recordings should be clarified by either Nandlall or his employers.
According to the Attorney-at-Law, “If it is that the Guyana Government is condoning violence against the press then it is indeed a disturbing revelation.”
According to Burch-Smith, it is high time that the Attorney General or his employers come out and clarify the expletive-laden statements which speak to violence against the Kaieteur News and its staff, an attack on the freedom of the press, misuse of public funds by a public official, as well as his loose comments against women, specifically a reporter employed at the Kaieteur News.
Jul 21, 2019Guyana Boys came out and displayed their mettle as they claimed Team Gold after brushing aside Barbados at the XXXVII Junior Caribbean Team Squash Championships 2019 at the QPCC Indoor Racquet Center...
Jul 21, 2019
Jul 21, 2019
Jul 21, 2019
Jul 21, 2019
Jul 21, 2019
Editor’s Note, If your sent letter was not published and you felt its contents were valid and devoid of libel or personal attacks, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: [email protected] / [email protected]