Speculation turned into reality yesterday when relatives positively identified the human remains found at
Cummings Lodge on the East Coast of Demerara a few weeks ago as that of missing businessman Mohamed F. Khan.
The relatives confirmed their worst fears when a nephew of the businessman was able to identify a belt and a pair of trousers that were found on the skeletal remains.
However, investigators are insisting that they will still need to do DNA tests to ascertain definitively if the corpse is that of Khan.
“His former wife and his nephew went to the parlour where the remains are being kept and identified it,” a police source confirmed last night.
The remains of a man of East Indian descent was discovered on a dam at Cummings Lodge on September 23rd last, a month after Khan disappeared.
The skull, which was wrapped in a plastic bag, was located several feet from the body.
The police source said that with the new development, investigators will be going ahead and arranging for a post mortem examination, even though the remains are badly decomposed.
They are certain that they are dealing with a clear case of murder.
“The post mortem will be done on Friday and they will be taking samples from the remains to carry out DNA testing,” the source said.
Even though Khan, who had fled to neighbouring Venezuela after selling his popular business on Hadfield Street, had spoken of threats to his life, the police have not yet detained anyone for questioning.
He had escaped execution in July at La Grange on the West Bank of Demerara when a gunman pumped a bullet in his abdomen shortly after he returned to Guyana on a brief holiday.
Khan, 54, was last heard from on August 21.
A missing person’s report was first made to the Guyana Embassy in Venezuela by Khan’s Venezuelan wife who last saw him on that date when he left the Spanish-speaking country for Guyana to contact his attorneys who were handling some business arrangements for him.
During an interview with this newspaper following the July execution attempt on his life, Khan had implicated a former business associate who had threatened him over a soured property deal. Khan had also disclosed that he believed the gunman was either a serving or former member of the Guyana Police Force, giving rise to his suspicions that his business associate is using his well-placed “connections” to escape justice.
During the interview Khan had related that his bout of troubles stemmed from the sale of one of the many properties he owned in the city. He said the buyer was trying to rob him of several million dollars owed to him from the sale of a prominent city business.
“I keep asking him for my money and at first he was always making excuses and then he started threatening me. He threatened me that if I come back to Guyana he will take me out,” he had stated.
Khan, who was a staunch advocate of the Buy Local campaign, said that he learnt from his underworld connections that there was an $11M bounty on his head.
Khan, a former television talk show host on the popular CNS Channel 6, had been out of Guyana for the past six years, claiming that he fled the land of his birth because of death threats he had been receiving. He is no stranger to controversy, having had major differences with a former top government official, which he claimed forced him to sell his business and flee Guyana.
Oct 22, 2018The 2018 IBF Antilles 3×3 Under-18 basketball tournament concluded at the Cliff Anderson Sports Hall (CASH) last night where double defending champions, Martinique, were usurped by the lads from...
I have long argued that PPP leaders will never apologize for any depravity done while that party was in power from 1957... more
Editor’s Note, If your sent letter was not published and you felt its contents were valid and devoid of libel or personal attacks, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: [email protected] / [email protected]