– mother to be charged with neglect
Not only has a suitable home been found for the five young boys who were left without adult supervision
at a Perseverance, Essequibo Coast, residence, but according to reports reaching this publication, police are seeking the whereabouts of their mother.
Under the Child Protection Act the woman, who left her children, whose ages range from 14 to six, can be charged with neglect.
Some neighbouring residents who were concerned about the boys reported their plight to this publication. And it was these very neighbours who provided them with meals on a daily basis for the past three weeks after observing that their mother was not around.
This publication was in fact informed that the woman was contacted by some neighbours whom she promised, during the course of her absence, to return the next day.
After this publication reported the boys’ plight to ranks at the Suddie Police Station, efforts were swiftly made to remove the boys from the home which was said to be in an unsanitary condition.
But word soon reached to the woman who, according to reports has been “shacked-up with a young man, leaving her sons to fend for themselves.”
This publication was informed that the woman via telephone launched a verbal assault on ranks at the police station even insisting that she had done nothing wrong. She has promised to turn herself in today or tomorrow.
Reports suggest that while the woman would leave her sons alone on numerous occasions, this most recent occasion was the longest she has stayed away.
The removal of the children from their Perseverance home Friday morning was spearheaded by Inspector Krishnadat Ramana.
And this publication was told that the officer even helped to tidy the boys and even bought them new footwear as they had none. The officer who also ensured that the boys were provided with meals was prepared to facilitate accommodation at the station for them as efforts were being made by the Region’s Child Care and Protection Officer, Ms. Priscilla Gonsalves, to locate a family member willing to take care of them.
According to Gonsalves who confirmed that the children have been placed with a financially-able maternal relative, “the boys didn’t seem to want to leave the station when time came for them to go to the relative.”
She informed too that the boys were all medically examined, another undertaking that was fully supported by Inspector Ramana. “He provided the vehicle and he was so very willing to help us get things done in no time,” related Gonsalves who went on to note that “everybody in the Region who were involved in rescuing the boys were incredibly supportive.”
The Child Protection Officer informed that while there were allegations that the boys were sexually molested, medical examinations proved otherwise.
She disclosed too that moves will be made to ensure that all of the boys are allowed to attend school as she pointed out that the only one of the set who wasn’t registered was the eldest who was reportedly forced to seek employment while in his mother’s care.
And in order to ensure that the boys remain in school, this publication understands that the Child Care and Protection Agency has had discussions with the relative in whose care the boys have been placed to ensure that facilitating their school will not be a burden. This publication has learnt that the Child Care and Protection Agency is prepared to render some financial support towards the care of the boys if needed.
Sep 18, 2018Story and photos by Zaheer Mohamed A well complied century by wicket-keeper batsman Kemol Savory backed up by a decent bowling performance handed last year’s finalist Essequibo a 90-run victory...
Editor’s Note, If your sent letter was not published and you felt its contents were valid and devoid of libel or personal attacks, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: [email protected] / [email protected]