…after boat strikes rock, capsizes
Up to press time yesterday, a rescue team was combing a river at Dukwari, Cuyuni for five-year-old Bisham Munilall Jr. who disappeared after the vessel he and his family were passengers in, capsized around 16:00 hrs on Monday.
The search team which consisted of Coast Guard personnel and other individuals, found the body of Brazilian national, Jose Henrique Salvao De Souza, 66, of Junior Ross Landing, Cuyuni, early yesterday.
According to the Police, “at about 1600h. Monday August 18, 2014, a boat travelling along a river at Dukwari, Cuyuni, struck a rock and several passengers were thrown overboard. As a result, Brazilian National Jose Henrique Salvao De Souza, 66 years, of Junior Ross Landing, Cuyuni, and Bisham Munilall, 5 years, of Charlotte Street, Georgetown, lost their lives. Only the body of Salvao De Souza has so far been recovered. Investigations are in progress.”
Kaieteur News understands that Munilall Jr. was in the vessel with his parents, Bisham and Brilia Munilall as well as his sister, Lourdy, when the boat capsized.
His family and the other passengers escaped with minor abrasions.
De Souza was not that lucky, while despite the police statement, the fate of the five-year-old is yet unknown.
Yesterday, his grandmother, Jane Baboolall said that her son moved to neighbouring Venezuela a few years ago. She explained that she was looking at the television when she received a call sometime after 21:30 hrs on Monday from one of her son’s friends who informed her of the tragedy.
“The person said that my son, his wife and two children were in the boat when it capsized and (little) Bisham missing, so I tell him to call me back when they find my grandson, and I hang up the phone,” Baboolall recalled.
She added that early yesterday, her son called and informed her that his son was still missing.
“He said that Bisham (junior) missing and they looking for him and he told me that his face swell up. He could have
hardly talked because he was crying,” the elderly woman recounted.
Baboolall said that she has no idea where her son and his family were heading when the accident occurred but revealed that they used that route often.
The search is ongoing for the boy.
Nov 18, 2018By Sean Devers The Guyana Defence Force (GDF) has won the last 17 National Boxing Tournaments since the inaugural one was held in 1966 at the Police Training School, but on Friday Night the Soldiers...
When the government announced copyright legislation will come next year, the first critic was former president, Bharrat... more
Editor’s Note, If your sent letter was not published and you felt its contents were valid and devoid of libel or personal attacks, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: [email protected] / [email protected]