Even as Head of State, Donald Ramotar seeks to assure the public of his anti corruption stance, a report into irregularities at the National Communications Network (NCN), is sitting on his desk two years later and he is yet to make public his decisions on the findings.
Earlier this month, Ramotar held an engagement with the media and when asked about the report, the President responded by saying “I wasn’t prepared for that question at this point in time…But I would probably look in and see if I could give you an answer.”
Ramotar held another press conference on Saturday last at State House and when quizzed on the report he responded by saying he was still not ready to pronounce on that as he had more pressing issues to attend to.
“Hopefully by the next time,” the President said.
He did point out that a lot of the issues in a way have been resolved and pointed to the fact that the then Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Mohamed Sattaur, is not at the entity any longer.
Earlier this month when quizzed on the report on his desk for almost three years now, the President said “I have nothing new to report on that; I really was preoccupied with many other things at this point in time. I am sorry, next time hopefully I will be in a better position.”
The report was submitted to the Office of the President for action.
Though differently worded, the President’s response mirrored one he offered on this very issue about a year ago at a similar engagement.
In fact, in March 2013, Ramotar told media operatives that he was “surprised” that the matter had not yet been concluded.
He had related that the matter is being handled and it would be concluded in the near future.
The investigation into the irregularities was confined to the Terms of Reference that sought to ascertain the relationship between Guyana Telephone and Telegraph Company (GT&T) and NCN.
In a leaked report – prepared during the first half of 2012 – it was revealed that on the part of NCN, one area of irregularity was traced back to GT&T and involved millions of dollars in advertisements.
NCN’s then CEO Sattaur, resigned in June 2012.
The entity’s Programme Manager, Martin Goolsarran, who admitted that he had deposited the payment cheque from the telephone company into his personal account, was suspended without pay.
However, findings of the investigations submitted to Ramotar would determine the future of the two men. Many are waiting to see whether the findings would engage any legal action.
Without revealing details of the investigations, Ramotar said he would like to see accountability at NCN, which will help with confidence and credibility.
Nov 15, 2018On Sunday last, Head of the IKD 9th Dan Shuseki Shihan Frank Woon-a-Tai, 8th Dan Shihan Maureen Woon-a-Tai (IKD Vice-Chief Instructor) and 8th Dan Shihan Bernice Hughes, assisted by Amir Khouri 7th...
Editor’s Note, If your sent letter was not published and you felt its contents were valid and devoid of libel or personal attacks, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: [email protected] / [email protected]