Jun 02, 2014 News
The Ministry of Culture, Youth and Sport, through its Permanent Secretary Alfred King, has invited bids for the execution of the construction of a “Confinement Building” at the New Opportunity Corps.
The advertisement, which was published in the Guyana Chronicle yesterday, asked that interested bidders obtain further information, familiarize and purchase a complete set of bidding documents upon having a written request.
The bidders are also being asked to pay a non refundable fee in the amount of $5000 to the Ministry of Culture on Main Street. All bidders are asked to submit their bids, together with the bid security for the amount of $375,000 not later than 09:00hrs on June 10, 2014 at the boardroom of the National Procurement and Tender Administration Board at the Ministry of Finance.
It was noted that all late bids would be rejected and returned to bidders unopened. Further bids will be valid during 90 days from the date of the bid opening. It was noted that bids shall be opened by tender commission in the presence of bidders’ representatives who wish to attend it at 09:00hrs on June 10,214 at the National Procurement and Tender Administration Board at the Ministry of Finance.
Within the last three weeks several allegations have surfaced from the NOC about caregivers committing sex acts on teenagers. Parents have come forward and told harrowing stories about sexual abuse.
Opposition Leader, Brig. David Granger, had said that his Party had no confidence in the capability of the Ministry of Culture, to administer the New Opportunity Corps.
Granger had proposed that the responsibility of the Corps be transferred to another Ministry or agency that possesses the requisite personnel and skills and is better prepared to tend to the lives of juveniles sympathetically.
Last week an APNU official made a call to government to have the caregivers at the New Opportunity Corps undergo lie detector tests. When pushed with questions about a “detention room,” Minister of Culture Dr Frank Anthony said that he could not agree with the statement but rather that there is a “quiet room”.
There are reports that the “detention room” is even worse than the Brickdam Police Lockups, and is for children who “misbehave”. Minister Anthony said yesterday that he is aware of a “quiet room,” but was unable to say if there’s a separate room. The minister sought to explain to the media about the grounds that would warrant officials to send “students” to the “quiet room”. Anthony said that if one is to visit the NOC, there are open dormitories and from time to time the students would fight.
Oct 24, 2020Represents Guyana in Table Tennis and Cricket By Sean Devers Kaieteur News – National Junior Table Tennis player and National U-17 Leg-spinning all-rounder 17-year-old Niran Bissu has reaped...
By Sir Ronald Sanders Kaieteur News – A noteworthy event occurred on the afternoon of Saturday October 10, that could... more
Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: [email protected] / [email protected]