Jun 30, 2013 Sports Comments Off on Gairy St Clair moves closer to another world title fight after convincing win
By Michael Benjamin
Former International Boxing Federation (IBF) featherweight champion, Gairy ’Superman’ St Clair, kept his hopes alive for another world title shot when he defeated Joebert Delos Reyes on points in a welterweight fight at the Richmond Club, Richmond, New South Wales, Australia, yesterday morning.
Kaieteur Sport spoke with St Clair moments after he had exited the ring and he said that his opponent was as tough as nails but even though he (St Clair) failed to knock his man out he was happy to once again be on the winning end. He admitted that it was not his best performance and attributes that to Delos Reyes’ competence.
St Clair will now go on to fight Australian Olympian, Jeff Horne on August 8 next as part of the three fight deal. He must win this fight if he is to clinch the world title shot. St Clair said that he is confident of defeating Horne who has recently turned professional. “I am not quite certain why he took the fight because I am far more seasoned than him,” said St Clair. Nevertheless, he said that he is taking the fight seriously and would not be complacent.
The former world champion said that he will take a few days off to rest but will be back in the gym within a week in order to enhance his chances of winning another world title.
The former Guyanese world champion trains under the tutelage of Mark Hardman and spars with tough guys the likes of Billy Dib, Daniel Lewis and Joel Brunker. He started fighting professionally in October 1994 and won on points over Nigel Boston. He managed to notch up a 14-0 record before fighting to a draw against American, Bernard Harris in the USA. Two fights later, he conceded a points decision to Diego Corrales and thereafter lost several other bouts including a unanimous verdict to his countryman, ‘Vicious’ Vivian Harris. Shortly after, he left the USA and took up residence in Australia where he resumed his career.
Jul 15, 2018It was a repeat of last year’s CASA tournament held in Guyana when Barbados ended Guyana’s 12-year dominance of Caribbean Junior Squash. The Guyanese had to settle for the runner-up spot as...
Editor’s Note, If your sent letter was not published and you felt its contents were valid and devoid of libel or personal attacks, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: [email protected] / [email protected]