Mar 28, 2013 News
– Tiger Bay fire was started by children left unattended
Fire Chief Marlon Gentle said, yesterday, that the Guyana Fire Service has not yet come up with any preliminary findings into the two recent school fires; but that investigations are ongoing.
According to Gentle, his ranks will soon be taking statements from the adults who were at La Parfaite Harmonie Primary School when the fire started. As it relates to the fire at the Bygeval Secondary School, the Fire Chief said that he is yet to get the full findings on that fire as well.
Meanwhile yet another fire has left at least 20 persons homeless. According to reports around 21:00 hours on Tuesday fire gutted some seven structures in the Tiger Bay area.
One woman who lost her house, Kesha Colley, told this publication that she was relaxing at home when she heard persons screaming ‘fire’. The woman said that by the time she ran out she noticed fire at the back of the house.
Colley added that she, with the assistance of others in the area, was able to save some household articles. Within minutes the woman said other structures which were all nearby were engulfed. By then people had contacted the Guyana Fire Service.
Initially there were reports that the fire was started by a ‘junkie’ in the area. However a source from the fire department said that the fire was as a result a child who was left unattended and was playing with matches.
Fortunately, other structures were saved as ranks from the fire service went into action quickly.
When this publication visited the area yesterday, persons were still seen going through the rubble to see what they could retrieve.
Also, President Donald Ramotar yesterday visited the fire victims and made a pledge to render whatever assistance is needed.
He told reporters that Government will be working with the relevant Ministries to find ways to offer assistance to the victims.
Public Works Minister Robeson Benn, who was at the scene, commended members of the Fire Service who he said did an excellent job in preventing the fire from spreading to nearby homes and businesses.
“I actually had just left the office and was going home and I saw the smoke,” GINA quoted Minister Benn as saying. “When I turned here, the fire service had just got here, the fire was in progress on the south-eastern side of these houses.
“There was the issue of whether we should save Courts or save the houses, but once we got to concentrate on the fire which the tenders were able to contain quickly with their two pumps, everything was under control,” Benn stated.
Seven shacks were damaged while three others were destroyed.
Human Services Minister Jennifer Webster was also at the scene and said the ministry will offer support to the victims, at least 20 of whom are now homeless, GINA reported.
Jun 24, 2021Kaieteur News – The domestic-based contingent of Guyana’s Senior Men’s National Team along with some of their overseas based counterparts arrived in the USA last evening ahead of final...
Jun 24, 2021
Jun 24, 2021
Jun 23, 2021
Jun 23, 2021
Jun 23, 2021
Kaieteur News – Anyone who has read my analyses the past 32 years would know that I have literally begged people to... more
Kaieteur News – Cubans should not be penalised because of the alleged discovery of a human trafficking ring involving... more
By Sir Ronald Sanders More commonality was shown by CARICOM countries in a vote on Tuesday June 15 at the Organisation of... more
Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: [email protected] / [email protected]