Mar 12, 2013 News
In an attempt to address the ever prevailing solid waste problem plaguing sections of the country, Government through the Ministry of Local Government and Regional Development, has been putting in place intervening measures.
Recently, Cabinet approved the sum of US$464, 212 for the procurement of two large waste rear-loader compactor trucks.
According to Minister within the Local Government Ministry, Norman Whittaker, during a recent press briefing, the trucks are being acquired from Dax Contracting Services through a bidding process that has been completed.
Each of the waste compactor trucks has the capacity of 21.1 cubic meters which will be used to support the work of the Neighbourhood Democratic Councils (NDCs) along the East Coast and East Bank Demerara corridors of Region Four.
In Region Four too, he said that work continues on the construction of the Haags Bosch site and work has been continuing there in terms of the operations at the site.
Minister Whittaker disclosed that there are also plans for the acquisition of a smaller compactor truck with the capacity of 6.7 cubic meters. However, the procurement of this smaller vehicle has been delayed since, according to the Minister, it has to be retendered.
In even earlier attempts to address the solid waste dilemma Cabinet had approved the acquisition of a number of bins which, according to Whittaker, will be located at specific public spaces such as school and hospital compounds, health centres and market places across the East Coast and East Bank Demerara corridors.
A total of 788 bins have been procured with 708 having the capacity to hold 1100 cubic meters each. The remainder will hold 240 cubic meters. But according to the Minister, “We are not only in Region Four but across the other Regions with the NDCs and the municipalities to bring about improvements in the collection and the disposal of solid waste.”
He said that Permanent Secretary in the Local Government Ministry, Collin Croal, had previously met with the waste disposal contractors who had won bids to provide solid waste services in the other nine administrative regions.
“We discern that while some of them had commenced and made a lot of progress, for example Puran Brothers in Region Two, in some of the Regions the contractors requested more time in some instances to build access roads.
“In other instances they requested more time to prepare landfill sites, and in a few instances too those who had ordered vehicles they requested a little more time to acquire these.”
He disclosed that with the exception of Regions Seven and Ten, where no plans were put forward by the contractor and no timeframe set to commence work, as in the case of the others, both regions will have to commence work by the end of March.
Addressing solid waste countrywide is deemed as strategic by the Minister since according to him “one of the areas we continue to focus on because, as I pointed out before, we want solid waste to be managed in an effective and efficient manner throughout the 10 regions of this country.”
Jun 21, 2021Kaieteur News – By Franklin Wilson Team Evolution’s Christopher ‘Chicken Legs’ Griffith crossed the line in One Hour 41 Minutes 36.22 Seconds to win the Banks DIH sponsored Malta...
Jun 21, 2021
Jun 21, 2021
Jun 20, 2021
Jun 20, 2021
Jun 20, 2021
Kaieteur News – I am quoting the words of Dr. Rupert Roopnaraine in an interview of September, 2017, that he gave Dr.... more
By Sir Ronald Sanders More commonality was shown by CARICOM countries in a vote on Tuesday June 15 at the Organisation of... more
Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: [email protected] / [email protected]