Dec 31, 2012 News Comments Off on Fire ravages Craig property
A 53-year-old Craig, East Bank Demerara (EBD) man is now homeless after a fire destroyed his two-storey house at around 11:45hrs yesterday.
Harry David, the owner of the burnt out property, located at Lot 145 Third Street, Craig said that he was in the upper story when he saw smoke billowing from the lower flat. He, as well as neighbours, formed a bucket brigade in a futile effort to douse the flames.
“Meh nah lef on meh stove, me nah gat water and meh nah gat current so me nah know how this fire start. Meh lef and went upstairs and when meh come down meh see the fire by the sofa so meh beg meh neighbour fah some water but it couldn’t out the fire,” David told Kaieteur News.
But the man later said that he lit a cigarette and attempted to throw the match in a container but it fell on the mat instead.
The 53-year-old man who is financially supported by his overseas relatives said after lighting his cigarette he went upstairs and “I go down after I see the smoke, I went over by my neighbour for water but the fire was too much.”
According to the man, his house was empty. “It only had some books, a bed and a sofa.” He reportedly told fire fighters that his overseas relatives were planning on breaking down his ancient home and replacing it with a more modern one but the fire apparently made things easier for him.
Kaieteur News understands that the fire-tender arrived promptly.
Aug 24, 2019By Sean Devers The penultimate day of the 2019 Senior CASA Squash Championships at the Georgetown Club’s Squash Courts in Guyana yesterday saw a couple of victories for the Guyanese Women and a...
U.S. President Donald Trump’s new rule on immigration and nationality, published on Monday, August 12, is not different... more
Editor’s Note, If your sent letter was not published and you felt its contents were valid and devoid of libel or personal attacks, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: [email protected] / [email protected]