– office set ablaze, $$M in losses
Early yesterday morning, the office of the now dead Pest Control boss Mohamed Shahabudeen Bacchus was set ablaze.
According to reports the fire service and police were summoned to 322 Rohintal Street, Prashad Nagar around 01:30 hours yesterday. Persons in the area said they were alerted when they smelled smoke in the air.
“We hear people calling out at the gate and we hear windows breaking and we thought was thief but when we come outside we notice smoke coming from the building and we call the fire service,” one neighbour said.
This publication was told the two-storey building served as an office and storage bond for the Pest Control business. According to the slain businessman’s insurance agent in excess of $50M worth in high-end Black & Decker and other products were in the building.
The agent said that what was not damaged in the fire was destroyed when the firemen soaked the interior to extinguish the flames.
“This clearly shows that this is a serious vendetta against this man. It is clear that his death and this fire are linked. Everything in the building was destroyed; what wasn’t burnt was water soaked and damaged.”
Meanwhile, a source close to the family said the incident is rather unfortunate and is adding to their grief as they only buried Bacchus on Monday after he was shot last Friday evening. He succumbed to his injuries early Saturday morning.
Further, according to a source close to the investigation, preliminary investigations suggest that the fire may have been deliberately set.
On Friday night last Mohamed Shahabudeen Bacchus, a 43-year-old Pouderoyen resident, and owner of Pest Control Plus was shot several times while at a bar in Thomas Street, Georgetown. Police reports stated that two armed men targeted him. Despite having a bodyguard with him, he was wounded several times, according to reports. One of the gunmen fired several rounds at Bacchus, hitting him in the head and body. He was rushed to the nearby Georgetown Hospital.
According to reports, the slain businessman may have been deliberately targeted by hit men. A previous attempt had been made on his life in 2008.
Another businessman was detained for questioning but subsequently released.
Jul 11, 2020Following consultation with the South American member associations, FIFA and CONMEBOL have agreed to postpone the upcoming South American qualifiers for the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 initially...
Jul 11, 2020
Jul 11, 2020
Jul 09, 2020
Jul 09, 2020
Jul 08, 2020
By Sir Ronald Sanders There have been unhelpful and destructive attacks by leading members and zealous supporters of the... more
Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: [email protected] / [email protected]