Feb 27, 2012 News
Police are preparing to submit a report to the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) on the death of Anand Persaud, as conflicting reports continue to surface on how the 25-year-old met his fiery end.
Initial reports are that Persaud of Bella Dam Pouderoyen, West Bank Demerara was accidentally burnt after a gas stove he was using exploded.
However a few days prior to his death reports began surfacing that the man may have been set ablaze by a woman.
A source close to the investigation revealed that the first report to the police was made by Persaud’s mother who told police ranks that her son was burnt while making tea for his children. When ranks visited the hospital to take a statement from Persaud he related the same story. However, in a twist of events, one of the dead man’s brothers visited the police and informed them that Persaud was ready to tell them what really transpired. The source said that Persaud then related to the police that it was his wife who threw kerosene on him and set him a blaze.
Relatives also say that Persuad related to them on his death bed that it was his wife who set him ablaze. This new bit of information, investigators say, has placed them in a very difficult position as they would want to see justice be served.
This publication was told Persaud and the woman had a torrid relationship and the incident may have stemmed from the woman’s infidelity.
There are reports that Persaud was working towards completing a house when he received reports that the woman was having an affair.
“That bai does wuk speed boat and every mid day he does come home fuh lunch. He really trying and like couple days before he get bun up we hear like she got somebody with he,”.
Meanwhile the victim’s landlord and the landlord’s wife denied witnessing Persaud being set alight.
The landlord said on the day in question he and another relative were about to have dinner when they heard screams coming from the couple’s downstairs apartment.
“After we hear the screams we run out and then we see Anand whole body on fire and he running towards the bathroom. At no point did we go in the house but the same time he wife come running out with a bucket of water and we tell she don’t wet he skin,” the landlord recalled.
This publication was told that persons wrapped Persaud in a sheet to extinguish the flames.
There are also suggestions that Persaud was set alight while he was sitting in a chair.
“After the fire out I go inside to get thing to help carrying him to the hospital and we see the chair burn but we didn’t see anybody with matches or lighter but we smell kero”
The couple’s landlord also dispelled reports that the woman was cooking with a kero stove.
“She got rid of all her kero stove a while now so the incident had nothing to do with a kero stove flaring up and she use to cook on the gas stove,”.
Meanwhile the police said they are awaiting the results of a post mortem after which they will prepare a file to be sent for advice.
On Sunday last, Persaud was rushed to the West Demerara Regional Hospital with burns to 90% of his body. He was subsequently transferred to the Georgetown Public Hospital where he died on Friday last. The man’s wife was detained and released twice since the incident.
The only savior of Guyana
Oct 02, 2023Kaieteur Sports – The Andrew Lewis National Novice Boxing Championship continued its riveting action on Saturday at the National Gymnasium, located along Mandela Avenue. Day Two showcased the...
Oct 02, 2023
Oct 02, 2023
Oct 02, 2023
Oct 01, 2023
Oct 01, 2023
By Sir Ronald Sanders (The writer is Antigua and Barbuda’s Ambassador to the United States and the Organization of American... more
Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.