Feb 10, 2012 News
Despite paying $250,000 bail which was granted by the High Court on Wednesday, the Muslim scholar at the center of a child molestation probe was yesterday back in jail after being rearrested within moments of his release, on additional child molestation charges.
As soon as 30 year-old Nizam Ali exited the door of the Sparendaam Magistrate’s Court, where he appeared for the second time within a week, a detective, who had earlier brought the man to court, once again slapped on the handcuffs and read the him his rights while taking him back to the Sparendaam Police Station lock ups.
However by late last night he was released again this time on self bail.
The man bent his head very low as he was told by the detective of the new allegations against him.
The new allegations stem from the claims of three more boys who were under his care at a Turkeyen Masjid.
Minutes earlier, Ali made his second court appearance before Magistrate Alex Moore on charges of sexual penetration of boys under the age of 12.
Ali appeared with his lawyers, Peter Hugh and Latchmie Rahamat, who delivered compelling arguments that highlighted unfair treatment towards their client despite certain orders being made in his favour.
Before the proceedings got on the way, Hugh requested a chair for Ali, who he claimed was not in the best of health, since he is suffering from a terminal illness. Ali looked slightly ailing and limped as he walked slowly toward the dock.
Complaints by the lawyers flooded the court. They told the Magistrate that orders he previously gave concerning the health of the accused were not adhered to.
Rahamat related that Ali is suffering from Renal failure (kidney failure), which requires him to have six meals a day, specially prepared by his mother.
However, during his time in prison, he was only permitted two meals a day.
Rahamat continued that Ali is also required to have freshly squeezed juice on a daily basis but again the accused was denied his nutritional requirements.
The lawyer said that her client was also being denied his medication.
She argued that the medication was essential for his well being and despite her calling the Director of Prisons warning him about the order of the court in connection to the Imam’s health, Ali was still not given his medicine.
The Magistrate, obviously irate, slammed his fists on his desk and raised his voice at the prosecution, while demanding an explanation for the alleged non-adherence to his previous order.
The magistrate said, “I made certain orders about the accused’s health and you (prosecutor) ensured me that the requirements would be met.” He continued, “I also said if the health requirements were not met, I would entertain bail.”
Police Prosecutor Sergeant Brown said that the matter was “news to his ears” and he was not aware that the accused was not getting his requirements.
The Magistrate argued that in fairness, a person is innocent until proven guilty and he was not prepared to send anyone to die a slow death in jail because the state refuses them their medical needs. He said it is disturbing that if a man is suffering with a terminal ailment, prison officials would refuse to accommodate him.
It was at this point that the lawyers revealed that Ali had secured bail in the High Court on Wednesday.
They claimed that despite this he was still locked up before he was brought to court yesterday.
Nizam Ali of Turkeyen, East Coast Demerara is accused of sexually penetrating boys under the age of 12. On the last occasion Ali appeared in court for the violation of three boys, he was not required to plead to the offence and was remanded.
According to the Child Protection Agency (CPA) a total of 10 boys have come forward, making claims against the Islamic Scholar.
Jan 29, 2022Kaieteur News – The Guyana Chess Federation (GCF) is set to host the National Blitz Championship next month with the assistance of its sponsor, STR Wood Inc. which donated GYD$100,000 towards...
Jan 29, 2022
Jan 29, 2022
Jan 29, 2022
Jan 29, 2022
Jan 28, 2022
Kaieteur News – Two basic questions arise upon the reading of the proposed G$550B plus Budget for 2022. The first is... more
By Sir Ronald Sanders Kaieteur News – Rejecting the accusations of bullying and despotism that were levelled at Mia... more
Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: [email protected] / [email protected]