By Samuel Whyte
No decision was made when the Berbice Cricket Board (BCB) met at a specially called Executive Meeting on Monday at the Board’s Office in New Amsterdam.
The meeting was convened to deal with players who ignored the BCB and participated in a trial match organised by the Guyana Cricket Board at Bourda on Friday to select a Guyana team to face Trinidad and Tobago in two t20 matches yesterday and today at Bourda. Six Berbicians have been named in the 13-man Guyana squad for the two games while two more are on stand-by.
It is understood that players were told by the BCB not to participate in the trial match since the GCB is illegal and had been disbanded. However most of the players, including West Indies players Devendra Bishoo, Royston Crandon and Narsingh Deonarine and Berbcie Captain Assad Fudadin, participated in the match.
The BCB, viewing this as disrespectful, summoned the players to Monday’s meeting but none of the players turned up, with those selected in the Guyana team choosing to participate in a practice session with the National team in Georgetown. At the end of Monday’s meeting no clear decision was arrived at. It is also understood that the players were called directly by officials purportedly representing the GCB and told to attend the trials. Some of the players confirmed that they were told by BCB officials not to turn up for the trail game.
President of the BCB Keith Foster had told Kaieteur Sports that he was told by some players that they were informed that they had to attend the trial match or they would not be considered for selection for Guyana. He had stated that as far as he knew the Government had set up an IMC to run Guyana’s cricket and was unaware that the GCB still existed. Foster had also confirmed that it was against this background that the Berbice players were told not to attend the trials.
Most of the Berbice players invited to trials ignored their board’s order, while two players showed solidarity to the BCB’s position not to participate and made themselves unavailable for the trials with Test pacer Brandon Bess claiming he was informed too late to travel to the City. National t20 batsman Richard Ramdeen, who along with former youth Captain Eugene LaFluer stayed away, has since explained his reasons for missing the trial match and informed the selectors that he is available for National selection.
It was rumored that the players would have been banned but that did not materialize.
President of the Berbice Cricket Board Keith Foster had stated that his board was not officially informed about the trial match and questioned who was responsible for the running of Guyana’s cricket. Foster had also stated that, “The BCB is responsible for its players since without playing for Berbice it would be difficult for them to play for Guyana and the West Indies, which is the ultimate goal for the BCB for its players.”
The Government has since set up an IMC which is scheduled to have its second meeting today at 13:30hrs, while the WICB is expected to again meet with Guyana’s Head of State Dr Barath Jagdeo shortly to conclude discussions on Government’s role in Guyana’s cricket and the way forward.
Jul 20, 2019By Franklin Wilson Guyana’s ‘Lady Jags’ have for the third successive occasion in this group romped to a 2-0 win, this time they have added to their list the previously unbeaten Saint Lucia to...
Freddie Kissoon When President Trump declared last week that three American born legislators should go back to where they... more
Editor’s Note, If your sent letter was not published and you felt its contents were valid and devoid of libel or personal attacks, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: [email protected] / [email protected]