Mar 16, 2011 News
Approximately 700 students at Queen’s College were forced to evacuate their school premises yesterday morning, as a result of a fire of electrical origin.
About 10:05 hrs, smoke was seen emanating from a class on the East Wing of the school, where upper sixth form students occupy, and Mr. Bernard, a geography teacher, noticed the development and reported the matter immediately to the school’s administration department.
Afterwards, Mr. Bernard, along with three male students, accessed fire extinguishers and proceeded to put out the flare-up while the Fire Service was being contacted. Other teachers and students shut down several main switches as a precautionary measure.
Although the fire service was quick to respond, the small fire was extinguished before it got out of control. The fire officials determined that rain had seeped through the ceiling and into a florescent light fixture in the classroom and that caused the flare-up.
The school’s administrator disclosed that no one panicked and the school was evacuated in an orderly fashion since the students were fully aware of fire drills and protocols.
They then waited outside until the fire service (three tenders) and police had arrived and subsequently deemed the school safe for re-entry.
Oct 28, 2021Kaieteur News – Gary Ragnauth hit an attractive 64 to spur Caribbean Sports Club to comfortable 30-run win over Sunrisers last Sunday at Cullen Beach where action continued in the inaugural...
Kaieteur News -I thought that David Granger was strategising by not announcing his candidacy then doing it at the last moment.... more
By Sir Ronald Sanders Kaieteur News – It is nothing short of shocking to learn that, despite the fact that the world... more
Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: [email protected] / [email protected]