Swift action by neighbours and workers at an East Coast Demerara automotive shop, prevented a major disaster but despite their efforts there were millions of dollars in losses.
A car was completely destroyed and part of the businessman’s house was scorched. In addition, other vehicles that were parked in the compound were slightly damaged.
The incident occurred around 13:40 hours yesterday at Buddy and Sons Automotive shop, Montrose, East Coast Demerara.
This newspaper was told that the owner of the business place and his workers were doing wielding work on a car when the car exploded. Immediately after the fire started the Guyana Fire Service was summoned to the location but its ranks were not needed as the workers and neighbours had already put out the fire.
An employee of the store told this newspaper that immediately after the fire started, workers formed a bucket brigade while others doused the blaze with sand which was nearby. No one was injured.
As a precautionary measure, the students of the Apex Academy which is located a building away were immediately evacuated from their building after the smoke was spotted.
When this newspaper arrived on the scene, employees of the business place were seen clearing the debris from their worksite and their employer stood in shock looking on.
The visibly traumatised man declined to speak to members of the media who had converged at his place.
Sep 22, 2018The 2018 Indigenous Heritage Games (IHG) was officially kicked off by Minister of Indigenous Peoples Affairs, Sydney Allicock yesterday morning at the at the Everest Cricket Club (ECC) Ground,...
Editor’s Note, If your sent letter was not published and you felt its contents were valid and devoid of libel or personal attacks, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: [email protected] / [email protected]