– also charged with damaging station mirror
Several days after his surrender the police were finally able to institute four charges ranging from murder to damage of property against one of Guyana’s most wanted men, Tyron “Cobra” Rowe, 17.
Heavily handcuffed and shackled, Rowe made his court appearance yesterday morning before the Acting Chief Magistrate Melissa Robertson at the Georgetown Magistrates’ Court.
The first charge read that Rowe, on August 5, at Plaisance Line Top, murdered Troy Collymore. To that charge Rowe was not required to plead.
Rowe was also accused of robbing Mark Hunte on May 16, 2010 of articles valuing $160,000. A third charge stated that Rowe on March 1, last, while armed with a gun robbed Troy Collins, of gold and diamond jewellery valuing $1.4M.
Rowe was further accused of damaging one mirror at the Brickdam Police Station on September 4. Like the murder charge, Rowe was not required to plead to those charges.
He was unrepresented yesterday as the charges were being read to him. When given the chance by the Magistrate, Rowe accused a senior member of the Guyana Police Force who was present in court of beating him.
“Meh worship, that officer (pointing to the lawman) cuff me up in meh belly….because they know you wouldn’t see any marks.”
He continued to tell the Magistrate he never damaged the mirror at the police, that it was the police who slammed his head into the mirror.
“Meh worship, I aint gon lie. They slammed meh head into the mirror because I refused to go pun an identification parade,” Rowe explained.
The Prosecution made an application for Rowe to be remanded to prison and for a date for statements to be set.
The Magistrate granted that application. Rowe is now expected to make his second court appearance on October 8, for the murder case.
He is also expected to appear in court on October 15 and again on October 22, for the other charges against him.
On Thursday last Rowe, with the help of social activist Mark Benschop and members of the media, surrendered to the police. Yesterday a relative of Rowe told Kaieteur News that they were surprised that he was charged for Collymore’s death.
The relative explained that even before Collymore had died, a wanted bulletin was issued for Rowe, accusing him of murder and a series of robberies. The wanted bulletin was issued on July 7. Collymore died one month later.
“Since before this boy dead they want he for a murder and a setta robberies…now they bring he to court for this boy, Collymore murder and three robberies,” said the relative.
Meanwhile one police source yesterday said that they are still continuing their investigation into the death of Anthony Taylor.
Taylor, 24, and Collymore, 35, both died from multiple gunshot wounds after bandits invaded Datt’s Drug Store at Plaisance.
The police had stated that Taylor, of Sussex Street, was identified as one of the gunmen. However they never stated who shot the young man. Questions were also asked whether Rowe might be linked to the Safraz Bar shooting incident last year. The source said that Rowe’s name was mentioned. The police are still unable to link him to that murder.
Armed gunmen invaded the Kitty nightspot and killed waitress, Kulmattie Singh, while seriously injuring Australian national Jason Montgomery and Ronald Dhanraj. Weeks later the police linked the weapons used in that robbery/murder to the execution-style killing of Alberttown resident, Nicholas Hoyte.
They said that a spent shell, which was recovered at the scene of the shooting of Hoyte, called ‘Ziah’, matched another that was found at the Safraz Bar shooting.
Hoyte was shot last January while he sat in his car. The police are yet to make any arrests in his murder.
Jun 03, 2020By Franklin Wilson Just over a year ago, the weekend of May 4th & 5th, 2019 to be exact, the powerlifting duo of Carlos Petterson-Griffith and Ms. Junica Pluck left these shores to compete at the...
Jun 03, 2020
Jun 03, 2020
Jun 03, 2020
Jun 02, 2020
Jun 02, 2020
In March 2016, I got into a big newspaper clash with Henry Jeffrey over a statement he made. I thought it was extremely... more
Editor’s Note, If your sent letter was not published and you felt its contents were valid and devoid of libel or personal attacks, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: [email protected] / [email protected]