The Le Repentir mortuary has been in a state of disrepair for more than four years and to date the Mayor and City Council is yet to decide on the way forward.
During mid last year, the City Council opened a bidding process with the hope of getting any private entity to take over the mortuary and the cemetery. However, that was not successful.
In an invited comment, Deputy City Engineer, Lloyd Alleyne said that the City Council did secure an interested party.
There were many suggestions by the bidders to have a new site for the cemetery.
According to Alleyne, there are people who are interested in taking over the mortuary, the chapel as well as the cemetery. He added that in the meantime the City Council is awaiting word from the government on whether it will be allocated a new plot of land.
For the time being, Alleyne said that the council is trying to do as much remedial work as it possibly can on the cemetery and its environs.
In relation to the non-functioning mortuary, Alleyne said that the situation remains unchanged. The mortuary has been out of operation for more than four years.
Initially, this newspaper was told that the compressor for the fridge was stolen.
The mortuary was once operated by the Georgetown Public Hospital but was subsequently handed over to the Mayor and City Council. Ever since, there has been the issue of bodies being dumped in the open.
Oct 23, 2018Two helmet-tricks, three hat-tricks and an equal amount of doubles were recorded on an eventful opening day of the Third edition of the East Bank Football Association / Ralph Green Under-11 League...
Editor’s Note, If your sent letter was not published and you felt its contents were valid and devoid of libel or personal attacks, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: glennl[email protected] / [email protected]