The police are investigating how a man mistook a bottle of poison for a bottle of rum and drank his way to death.
The man, Brijlall Dwarka called Rickey, 60, of West Canefield Village, East Canje, who was involved in a long standing domestic squabble committed the fatal mistake on Saturday at his home.
Reports reaching Kaieteur News stated that Dwarka who lives with his wife, daughter and granddaughter is a heavy drinker and would usually consume a lot of rum during the day.
According to a source, since he learnt that his wife was involved in a relationship with a taxi driver, Dwarka had taken to drinking nonstop.
The source told this newspaper that on the day in question, Dwarka, who recently retired from the Rose Hall Estate, had sprayed his yard to rid it of wood ants early Saturday morning.
Some of the poison was left in a bottle, which was put away for further use.
It is understood that the man would usually hide his rum, water and drinks that he consumes in a certain part of the house.
However he mistakenly placed the poison in the same area and when he went back later to take a ‘drink’, he somehow consumed the poison for the rum, mixed with chaser and all.
His wife learnt of his mistake after she saw him looking uncomfortable and visiting the toilet regularly.
Upon investigating she smelled the poison and was told by her husband that he mistakenly drank the “wood ants poison”.
He was rushed to the New Amsterdam hospital where he died on Monday.
Nov 20, 2019Hodge’ maiden ton goes in vain as Volcanoes lose by 22 run By Sean Devers in Trinidad In a game delayed by 45 minutes due to some showers a handful of fans watched Guyana Jaguars beat Windwards...
Editor’s Note, If your sent letter was not published and you felt its contents were valid and devoid of libel or personal attacks, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: [email protected] / [email protected]