Ministry of Health fire…
– Robert Corbin
Although the Head of State has said that there would be no casting of blame until the investigations into the Ministry of Health’s fire is completed, recent reports suggest that the $25M reward may be insufficient, since the security forces are in the process of manufacturing evidence using torture.
This is according to Opposition Leader, Robert Corbin, who at a recent press conference said that the nation can ill afford such losses when citizens are experiencing great hardships and are unable to have a decent livelihood with the spiraling cost of living.
It is significant to note that since 1992, several Ministries have been destroyed by fire, Corbin said, pointing out that a section of the Ministry of Public Works was burnt in 1996, while a section of the Ministry of Education was also engulf in flames in 1999 and in 2001 the Ministry of Housing and Water was flattened.
According to Corbin, the PNCR considers these fires a matter of national concern, since unfortunately, the Ministries, or parts of them, destroyed, resulted in the destruction of important documents and information which could have helped ongoing investigations.
On Friday last, Head of the Presidential Secretariat told the media that the United States of America’s Southern Command has volunteered its services as it relates to the fire investigations of the burnt out historic building that housed the Ministry of Health.
The United States Southern Command (SOUTHCOM), located in Miami, Florida, is one of 10 unified Combatant Commands (COCOMs) in the US Department of Defense and is responsible for providing contingency planning, operations, and security co-operation for Central and South America and the Caribbean.
Dr. Luncheon also stated that the Fire Department will complete and submit their aspect of the investigations, which will be handed over to the police and when the police has completed the local investigation, the building will be declared no longer a crime scene and as such would be handed over to the authorities.
He however did not reveal any of the preliminary findings of the Fire Service’s report that was handed over to the police, adding that there will have to be a comprehensive report compiled with input from both entities.
This he said was not completed as yet but the administration was not too keen on forcing a time line for completion of the investigation, adding that he personally has always been of the opinion that the investigative organs should be given time to effectively conduct their investigations.
The Ministry of Health on Brickdam went up in flames in the dead of the night last week Friday and the Head of State has since offered $25M reward for the suspected arsonist(s) given that several Molotov Cocktails (Channa Bombs) were recovered from the scene in the aftermath.
The Health Minister has since denounced the fire as an act of terrorism.
He told the media that while the attack is clearly a criminal case of arson, it is in fact despicable.
He said that it is shocking and shameful that anyone would have selected the Ministry for such an expression of terrorism.
Following the attack on the Health Ministry, two other bottles containing chickpeas, nails and a wick were discovered at a section of the Ministry of Hydraulics and Public Works.
Jan 23, 2020Guyanese athlete Lionel D’Andrade finished second in the Chinmaya Mission 5k race which took place on Sunday last in Trinidad and Tobago. D’Andrade clocked 17 minutes and 34 seconds, while...
Jan 23, 2020
Jan 23, 2020
Jan 23, 2020
Jan 22, 2020
Jan 22, 2020
Lost, completely lost, in the rejection of the no-confidence vote (NCM) by those who said it was a constitutional farce... more
Editor’s Note, If your sent letter was not published and you felt its contents were valid and devoid of libel or personal attacks, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: [email protected] / [email protected]