By Fareeza Haniff
The Ministry of Health yesterday confirmed three more cases of the H1N1 virus (Swine Flu), from a batch of 37 specimens that have been tested so far in Trinidad.
Minister of Health, Dr. Leslie Ramsammy, told Kaieteur News yesterday that 50 specimens were sent for testing and of that number; the Ministry received 37 results, of which three were confirmed cases. Guyana now has five confirmed cases of the virus.
According to the Health Minister, he has since reported the recent developments to the International Health Authority and to the World Health Organisation (WHO).
The Health Minister explained that the confirmed cases originated from East Bank Demerara and Georgetown.
He explained that the surveillance team is in touch with the families and is conducting contact tracing.
“We are trying to trace how much people they have been in contact with so that we can be able to contain the virus,” Minister Ramsammy said.
The Health Ministry is now awaiting the results of ten more specimens.
“The outstanding thing is finding it and containing it and we have been very successful in doing that in Guyana.”
Recently, the specimens of the two suspected cases were confirmed by the Caribbean Epidemiology Centre (CAREC) in Trinidad.
Minister Ramsammy had noted that the specimens were among a group of 26 that were sent abroad for testing.
It was reported by the Health Ministry that both reported cases reside in Georgetown and were traced to international contacts.
“In both cases, we believe the original sources came from outside of Guyana. In neither case did the persons seek medical attention in Guyana and in both cases the persons left Guyana,” the Ministry of Health had stated in a press statement.
Minister Ramsammy had opined several weeks ago that H1N1 would arrive in Guyana. However, he is confident that his Ministry’s surveillance programme is capable of containing the spread of the virus.
Jul 11, 2020Following consultation with the South American member associations, FIFA and CONMEBOL have agreed to postpone the upcoming South American qualifiers for the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 initially...
Jul 11, 2020
Jul 11, 2020
Jul 09, 2020
Jul 09, 2020
Jul 08, 2020
By Sir Ronald Sanders There have been unhelpful and destructive attacks by leading members and zealous supporters of the... more
Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: [email protected] / [email protected]