A 22-year-old welder survived a 40-foot fall after he was flung from the roof of a four-storey building by an electrical surge while working yesterday morning.
Anthony Pellew, of Bachelor’s Adventure, East Coast Demerara, is currently nursing a broken left foot, severe burns about his upper body and lacerations to his head.
His condition is listed as stable.
Eyewitnesses recalled seeing Pellew falling through a metal scaffold which was set up outside the Infinity fuel station building at the corner of Hadfield and High Streets.
He landed on the ground and immediately lost consciousness.
The injured man was rushed to the Georgetown Public Hospital where he received emergency surgery that probably saved his life.
Speaking to this newspaper from his hospital bed, Pellew, the father of a four-month-old son, said that he was in the process of fixing the scaffold to resume work at about 10:00 hours. He said that he does not know what really happened.
“I was fixing the scaffold and that was it. When I do catch myself, is here I deh. I really don’t know exactly what happened to me there,” Pellew told this newspaper.
It is believed that Pellew may have come into contact with an exposed electrical wire and received electrical shocks that sent him crashing to the ground.
An employee in the building on which Pellew was working recalled seeing the lights go out for a few seconds, just around the time that the welder fell.
Since Pellew sustained burns about his body, everyone is convinced that he received electrical shocks.
This newspaper did not observe any high voltage wires on the premises in the vicinity where Pellew was working. However, eyewitnesses suggested that the wire may have been internal.
This newspaper was told that Pellew, who has been working on the building for the past two weeks, had sustained an injury at the site on a previous occasion.
On that occasion he was also lucky that a piece of metal only gashed his neck, but not deep enough to be considered serious.
Immediately after his fall, fellow employees halted work and turned up at the hospital to ascertain his condition.
A man, who identified himself as his foreman, assured this newspaper that he will ensure that the welder receives the best possible treatment and that his family will be taken care of during the time that he is hospitalized.
Apr 08, 2020On Monday evening last, the Ministry of Public Health (MoH) confirmed the passing of Deryck ‘Mad Dog’ Jaisingh as the latest fatality of the Covid-19 disease. Jaisingh was very well known...
Apr 08, 2020
Apr 07, 2020
Apr 07, 2020
Apr 07, 2020
Apr 06, 2020
One of the deep mysteries that the 2020 election result has given rise to is a gargantuan contradiction between the words... more
The statement below appeared on a Facebook page. The page is purported to be connected to either the APNU+AFC or its supporters. The... more
Editor’s Note, If your sent letter was not published and you felt its contents were valid and devoid of libel or personal attacks, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: [email protected]mail.com / [email protected]