Dec 27, 2008 Sports
By Michael Benjamin
Former Caribbean Boxing Federation bantamweight champion, Leon ‘Hurry up’ Moore will leave these shores shortly for a sojourn in the USA that could possibly see him returning to Guyana with a world Championship belt strapped around his waist.
Boxing promoter, Carwyn Holland, made this announcement this week in a telephone interview with this writer. He promised that Moore will be Guyana’s 5th world champion, following on the heels of Andrew ‘Sixhead’ Lewis, who stopped James Page for the World Boxing Council (WBC) welterweight title, Wayne ‘Big Truck’ Braithwaite, who out-pointed Vincenzo Cantatore and won the World Boxing Council (WBC) light/heavyweight crown and Vivian Harris who knocked out Diosbelys Hurtado for the super/lightweight crown.
Then there is Gwendolyn ‘Stealth Bomber’ O’Neil who won by decision over Kathy Rivers and Crystal Lessie to take the Women’s International Boxing Association (WIBA) and the Women’s International Boxing Council belts, respectively. Unfortunately, after a few defences all of these local fighters have surrendered their titles to various fighters around the world.There seemed to be a dearth in the boxing arena and from all indications, winning another world title seemed like an impossible feat. Recently, Leon Moore has risen to prominence and had notched up 16 straight victories when he was offered an interim World Boxing Organization (WBO) bantamweight title fight against Columbian Irene Pacheco. After the fight, which many experts thought that Moore had won, two judges, Miton Mercado and Leon Mercado scored in the Columbian’s favour115-113 and 116-113, respectively. Manuel Arroyo gave Moore the fight 115-113. There was a vociferous outcry from Moore’s camp and even some Columbian boxing officials spoke out against what they considered ‘highway robbery.’
However, the decision was not reverted and Moore unfortunately, lost the opportunity for a possible #10 world ranking. Probably disenchanted by the turn of events, Moore went into self imposed exile. He returned one year later and knocked out Cecil Smith in a lop-sided affair.
Excited by the win, Moore issued a clarion call for all comers. Local boxing promoter Carwyn Holland heard, and decided to answer the call. He teamed up with Australian Michael Altamura and the two has recently inked a 2 years deal with Moore to manage the second phase of his career.
Time is of the essence so Moore’s new handlers have decided to throw him into the deep waters immediately.
They have already held talks with the head of the Golden Boys Promotions, Oscar de la Hoya who has since committed himself to a world title fight for Moore in four months time.
Carwyn Holland made this revelation in a telephone interview with this writer. He said that Moore will depart for the USA sometime in February and by June will sign for a world title fight. No opponent has been named so far.
Holland also said that head of Golden Boy’s Promotion, Oscar de la Hoya has agreed that Moore may participate in bouts organized by other promoters provided that he (de la Hoya) plays a part in the negotiations.
In the meantime, Holland disclosed that plans are in train to have Moore fight on a local card sometime in January. An opponent is still to be named.
In an invited comment, Moore confirmed that he had indeed entered into a managerial arrangement with Holland and Altamura.
He said that he is satisfied with the terms of the contract and is already preparing for the rough road ahead.
Asked to make a general comment, Moore said, “This is indeed a great opportunity for me to. It is the kind of exposure I crave for at this juncture of my career. As such, I have committed myself to work very hard to make the best of this opportunity.”
Meanwhile, Holland is making an impassioned plea to the corporate community to assist Moore in his endeavours.
At the moment, Moore is urgently in need of assistance to acquire gears, clothing and meals.
“Leon has been one of the most disciplined local fighters and I am sure that with firm support he will rise to the call,” Holland opined.
VP Jagdeo words exposing him
Feb 07, 2023SportsMax – A maiden Test double hundred from Tagenarine Chanderpaul and a 12th Test century from captain Kraigg Brathwaite have put the West Indies in an excellent position after day three of...
Feb 07, 2023
Feb 07, 2023
Feb 07, 2023
Feb 07, 2023
Feb 07, 2023
By Sir Ronald Sanders Kaieteur News – (The writer is Antigua and Barbuda’s Ambassador to the United States of America... more
Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: [email protected] / [email protected]