Junior Henry, 25, of 58 West Ruimveldt Estate, and Baldeo Seegobin, 31, of 99 West Ruimveldt Estate, were yesterday charged with the murder of 32-year-old Ricardo Henriques.
It is alleged that on November 24 the two murdered Ricardo Henriques after robbing him on Monday night in the vicinity of Juice Power.
Baldeo Seegobin was represented by attorney-at-law Vic Puran, who told the court that there were two issues that he would like to discuss. He noted that his client is alleging that he was beaten by members of the Guyana Police Force.
He said that his client told him that a “black bag with a substance was placed over his head” and this caused him to feel “gritty”. After this he was forced to sign a “pre-written confession statement”.
The lawyer explained that his client’s mother was denied access for several days, adding also that police refused to accept a report by another attorney-at-law.
Puran further told the court that his client is in the position to identify the policemen who “tortured him”.
He also told the court that the police refused to take Seegobin’s statement in relation to his alibi.
However, Police Prosecutor Denise Griffith told the court that if indeed Seegobin was beaten by the police, “you would see some evidence that hinted at this.”
She said that “torture allegations” are easy to make but hard to substantiate.
Griffith said that in relation to the accused mother not being given permission to see him, the police have the right to deny any such visit. She further added that if the investigating ranks believe that she can tamper with the case, she would not be allowed to see him.
The two were remanded and are expected to make their next court appearance on January 27, 2009.
Thirty-two-year-old Ricardo Henriques, a wholesaler, of D’Urban Street, Werk-en-Rust, was pronounced dead on arrival at the Georgetown Public Hospital around 19:00 hours on Monday. Reports are that the man was shot at point blank range to the head by one of two gunmen who pounced on him at Juice Power on Middle Street.
The dead man’s father, Richard Henriques, had told this newspaper that they had just left Golden Coast restaurant and were about to purchase water when the gunmen struck.
“We were going to buy water and after I see the Lotto shop nearby I decide to go there to buy tickets.
While I was walking away from the vehicle I saw two men walking up to the vehicle and then next thing I hear is a gunshot,” Henriques said.
He added that he then saw two men running from his son’s vehicle with a bag.
The father said that he began running behind the men but the fleeing men shot at him. He said that he threw himself on the ground and just stayed there. The man said the men escaped with an undisclosed amount of cash.
Jul 07, 2020Over the last month, the Kingston Football Development Academy (KFDA) reached out to some businesses and Kingston residents near and far on an initiative to help provide COVID-19 relief hampers for...
Jul 07, 2020
Jul 07, 2020
Jul 07, 2020
Jul 07, 2020
Jul 06, 2020
The current attempts to rig the 2020 election, which have gone on for four months now have produced the incredible exposure... more
By Sir Ronald Sanders There have been unhelpful and destructive attacks by leading members and zealous supporters of the... more
Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: [email protected] / [email protected]