For the Government to offer some of the $60M reward that was being offered for the capture or killing of wanted men Rondell ‘Fine Man’ Rawlins and Jermaine ‘Skinny’ Charles to members of the Joint Services will be setting a dangerous precedent and will lay down conditions for the creation of bounty hunters.
People’s National Congress Reform (PNCR) central executive member Aubrey Norton, who expressed this opinion, explained that the party would be pleased if the Joint Services are, instead, given an increase in salary.
He noted that a reward should be given to the person(s) who provided to the Joint Services information which resulted in the capture of the two wanted men. To the best of his knowledge, he said, the Joint Services did not provide any such information.
He added also that even if the Joint Services were acting on information that they unearthed, then that was their job.
Norton also pointed out that it was an even more dangerous precedent, given that we are living in the age of the ‘Phantom Squad.’
A senior Government official recently confirmed that the Government will honour its obligations and disburse the $60M between an unnamed informant and the Joint Services ranks who cornered Rawlins and Charles at Kuru Kururu, on the Linden/Soesdyke Highway on August 28.
Another man, whose name was given as Sean Grant, called ‘Troyee,’ was also shot dead in the initial exchange of gunfire at Timehri, while Guyana Defence Force Corporal Andrew Cush was wounded.
For obvious reasons, the official did not provide any details of what information the informant furnished to the security forces that led to the slaying of the two wanted men in a shootout with the security forces.
The Government had announced an initial $10M reward for the capture of Rawlins, but this was increased to $50M following the Bartica slaughter.
Another $10M was offered for the recapture of Charles, following his escape from the Sparendaam Police Station lock-ups. The initial bounty for Charles was $2M.
There was grumbling among some ranks who were on the operation, since it was felt that the reward would not have been paid.
At a press conference on the day the two wanted men met their demise, Commodore Gary Best had said that the killing of the men was as a result of a combination of information provided and intelligence gathered by the Joint Services.
“It is not a single call that came from a member of the public. It’s a combination, we acted on our information,” Commodore Best had told the media.
The deaths of Rawlins and Charles have left a huge hole in the criminal gang that has been wreaking havoc throughout the length and breadth of Guyana, and this time the security forces have vowed to hunt down the remaining gang members to bring their activities to an end.
Since October last year, the security forces have been able to kill gang members Malcolm Alleyne, called ‘Coolie Boy’; Aubrey Glasgow, called ‘Dread’; Noel James, called ‘Baby’; Orlando Andrews, called ‘Bullet’; Troy St. John, called ‘John I’; Vivian Harris, called ‘Bolo’; Otis Fiffee, called ‘Mud Up’; Cecil Simeon Ramcharran, called ‘Uncle Willie’; and Robin Chung, called ‘Chung Boy’.
Acting Police Commissioner Henry Greene has made it clear that the operation targeting the notorious gang has not, by any means, ended.
“The search is not over. We want to notify those additional gang members who are still out there that we have not given up the search,” the Top Cop emphasized.
He listed the names of some of the remaining gang members as Deon Cort, called ‘Capone’; ‘Sonny’; Richard Daniels, called ‘Chucky’; ‘Not Nice’; White Boy, called ‘Whitey’; ‘Ratty’; Aubrey; Cliff Chichester, and James Gibson.
Jan 19, 2020Mavindra Dindyal struck a fine half century to put Georgetown Cricket Club (GCC) in a comfortable position at the close of play on the opening day of the Georgetown Cricket Association/ Noble House...
There are times you can forgive rulers for their obdurate refusal in not wanting to learn from history because of the nature... more
Editor’s Note, If your sent letter was not published and you felt its contents were valid and devoid of libel or personal attacks, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: [email protected] / [email protected]