Latest update May 22nd, 2026 12:38 AM
Nov 30, 2016 News
The administration has unveiled an aggressive plan to reduce overcrowding in the
country’s jails.
According to Finance Minister, Winston Jordan, the attention is being paid especially to the problem caused when the courts refuse bail.
“Ultimately, we intend to reduce the use of pre-trial detention for persons accused of minor, non-violent, offences by aggressively promoting the use of alternative sentencing options such as probation, community service, restitution, and fines,” the minister disclosed in his budget speech on Monday to the National Assembly.
The problem has been engaging the Coalition since it took office last year.
The matter came to the forefront this year after 17 inmates of the Camp Street jail were tragically killed in a fire in one of the cell blocks.
A Commission of Inquiry ordered by President David Granger found that overcrowding was a main cause with recommendations for solutions to be found to ease the problem.
Many of those in jail have been refused bail or are serving time for offences which was be handled in other ways – fines, probation and community service included.
According to Minister Jordan on Monday, his Government continues to place the highest priority on the maintenance of a strong justice system, given its role in upholding civil liberties and maintaining the rule of law.
“To this end, key areas that have been earmarked for strategic interventions in 2017 include strengthening legislation to counter money-laundering and the financing of terrorism; review of pre-trial detention policies; use of alternative sentencing; and constitutional reform.”
Jordan however noted that while work will continue to secure and protect against financial crimes, it is recognized that the manner in which other offences are treated, especially non-violent minor charges, must be reviewed.
He said that through the “Support for Criminal Justice System Programme”, the Government will reduce the burden on the prison system by implementing a comprehensive institutional strengthening programme, aimed at influencing the use of penal and rehabilitation policy and law.
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.
Your children are starving, and you giving away their food to an already fat pussycat.
May 22, 2026
…cricket legend says Guyana was a ‘No-Brainer’ for 519 expansion By Rawle Toney Kaieteur Sports – West Indies fast-bowling legend Courtney Walsh has taken another major step in life after...May 22, 2026
Peeping Tom… (Kaieteur News) – Every day, thousands of people in Guyana stand by the roadside, waiting for public transportation. They have one question on their minds: “How much will it cost me?” And the sad truth is, nobody can give them a straight answer. We have a serious problem...May 17, 2026
By Sir Ronald Sanders (Kaieteur News) – An attempt is now being made by a few member states of the Organization of American States (OAS), using procedural manoeuvres, to prevent a proposed “Declaration on the Rights of Persons and Peoples of African Descent” from proceeding to the OAS...May 22, 2026
Hard Truths by GHK Lall “Nothing can come, nothing can come Nothing can come between us…” (Kaieteur News) – Those words are from British singer Sade’s 1988 song of the same name. It wasn’t her doing the honours in Guyana. Greet, Mr. Jacob Helsberg, U.S. Undersecretary of Economic...Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: glennlall2000@gmail.com / kaieteurnews@yahoo.com