Latest update May 24th, 2026 12:15 AM
Jun 04, 2016 News
There is gross uncertainty concerning the award of the contract to erect parking meters in and around Georgetown. Two contractors currently lay claim to being the sole awardee of the anticipated project. The warring entities are
Astrolobe Technology and National Parking Systems (NPS).
On Thursday NPS had been awarded the contract by the Georgetown Mayor and City Council (MCC).
Astrolobe has now come forward contending that it has exclusive rights to the project since it had signed the agreement with the Council in 2007. Meanwhile NPS is going ahead with preliminary works on the said project which it claims was signed recently in May 2016 with the Mayor and City Council. It is unclear why the MCC are ignoring their earlier contract in favour of the most recent.
Recently in the press, head of Astrolobe Technology, Saratu Phillips, condemned the actions of the Georgetown Mayor and City Council for awarding the contract to NPS arguing that the Council had already awarded it to him since October 1, 2007.
Phillips showed a copy of the agreement that confirmed that the deal was indeed signed on the aforementioned date between the two parties, with the Council being represented by the then Town Clerk, Beulah Williams.
Phillips said that the present Town Clerk Royston King has promised that both parties will discuss the issue in order to arrive at a compromise. When asked whether he has considered any alternative actions, providing negotiations fail, the Astrolobe head commented that there is always the avenue of taking legal action. The estimated cost for the project, if done by Phillips’ company should be in the region of US$350,000 to US$400,000.
A source close to the Council, stated that the problem arose due to the newly appointed Council, not having a clue about the agreement entered into with Phillips and has tried to water down the issue hoping that both contractors can embark on the project with each entity focusing on specific areas in the city.
When asked about this possibility, Phillips intimated that he has not accepted such an offer as yet and will only do so if the proposal is feasible to his company.
In a letter written by Royston King addressed to Phillips, dated October 6, 2015, King stated, “I am aware that you have a signed contract with the Council to do paid parking. The area that was identified for you to install the appropriate system is East Street/John Ford Car Park – that is available for that activity. I am suggesting that you visit and observe that section with a view to begin paid parking as pilot project, under the conditions of the contract.”
Contrary to this, the contracting agreement provided by Phillips clearly identifies the streets identified for work to be done. These include, Avenue of the Republic, Brickdam Road, South Road, North Road, Main, Church, Robb, Regent, America, Camp, Middle, Croal, Water, Thomas and Longden Streets. The document goes on to state, “The City Council gives Astrolobe Technology the rights to install any paid parking system or meters on any street that comes under its jurisdiction.”
Phillips is unaware of any reason why the Council would act in contravention of the contract since Astrolobe has not acted in any way that would warrant termination of the contract.
According to Clause 2.5-1 of the agreement, the Council can terminate the contract, if the company fails to satisfy certain conditions. If the company becomes bankrupt or insolvent; if the company fails to follow any instructions that may be given by the Council in keeping with the agreement; if the company fails to follow the terms of the agreement and if the company fails to pay the Council any payment under this agreement.
According to Phillips his company is not in breach of any of these provisions.
NPS is headed by Ifa Kamau Cush who is undertaking the project jointly with Smart City Solutions, chaired by Simon Moshesvilli. Last Thursday Cush and Moshesvilli briefed Kaieteur News about their plans to proceed with the controversial project.
The duo stated that official works will begin in September and will be undertaken in two phases. The areas identified by the partners for Phase One are similar to those identified in the agreement signed between the Council and Phillips.
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.