Police investigate ‘vigilante’ beating to death of Kitty fisherman

March 7, 2013 | By | Filed Under News 

Dead 40 year-old Antonio Isles

The police are investigating the circumstances surrounding the death of a 40-year-old Pike Street, Kitty man who was beaten to death on Friday last.
The dead man has been identified as Antonio Isles, of 248 Pike Street, Kitty. There are conflicting reports about when Isles died; as his reputed wife, Paula Brooks, said she was told by one hospital official that he died on Friday night and then by another source that he died Saturday evening.
According to Brooks she last saw Isles alive on Friday evening. Brooks told this publication that her reputed husband works on a fishing vessel at sea and he only returned home on February 25.
“Whole day Friday he went home and when the place start getting dark he bathe put on he clothes and he lef but he ain’t say is where he going,”.
Brooks said as the night went by she became worried and tried contacting Isles on his mobile phone but to no avail.
“I keep calling the phone and it keep ringing out and going to voicemail and I was worried but I say man he mussy just ain’t want answer.”
According to Brooks the weekend passed and she still wasn’t able to contact her reputed husband. However on Monday morning the woman said her daughter received some information about Isles’s whereabouts.
“Monday my daughter went out to the supermarket and a li’l boy run up to she and say you uncle call people stink mouth and look way he deh, he deh in a hospital tekking saline. When she come home she tell me but it was late so till Tuesday morning I go.”
Brooks said that still hoping for the best she decided to go to the Georgetown Public Hospital with a photograph of her reputed husband.
The woman said she made enquiries but no one recognized her husband from the picture and there was no entry of him being admitted to the institution.
Eventually the woman said she decided to visit the hospital’s mortuary with the photograph.
‘When I reach over at the mortuary I saw a man so I show him the picture and he say yeah he think they have a body like that. So I went in the mortuary and the first body the man open was my husband.”
The woman said she then provided the mortuary official with Isles’s correct name and other necessary information and she was then advised to visit the police station.
It was only then she was informed that her husband was severely beaten on Friday night and was taken to the hospital where he succumbed.
According to Brooks her husband was reportedly beaten by a group of men in Pike Street. A post mortem which was done on Isles’s remains yesterday revealed that he died as a result of a fractured skull.
Residents of Pike Street, Kitty, told this publication that they would be grateful if the police can bring the perpetrators to justice since there is a particular group that has been tormenting the area.
It is believed that the same youths are responsible for Isles’s death. This publication was told that one of the boys in the group is as young as ten years old and is considered ‘very dangerous’.
Reports are that a group of men attacked and beat Isles who was left lying on the road, but eventually was taken to the Kitty Police Station and then to the hospital.
Residents who witnessed the attack were fearful of relating what they saw since the persons responsible live in the same area.
Residents said they are scared to venture into the street between Alexander and Lamaha Streets after hours because of what that area has become as a result of the group. Up to press time yesterday no one was arrested.

If you find a comment distasteful or inappropriate, you can flag the comment and send us a report for immediate removal. Send report to kaieteurnews@yahoo.com
Kaieteur News reserves the rights to moderate any comment deemed inappropriate and is not responsible for the views expressed.

blog comments powered by Disqus

Latest News Headlines

>>> Click to see more...

Updated by Kaieteur News Personnel. All Rights Reserved. A GxMedia website solution.