Two police officers charged for Belgrave Killing

January 1, 2013 | By | Filed Under News 

By Rehanna Ramsay

After much delay over the controversial shooting death of Damien Belgrave, two police officers finally appeared before Magistrate Sueanna Lovell on a charge of manslaughter in relation to the October 5 killing of the 21year old Lethem resident.
Belgrave was shot in the vicinity of White Castle Fish Shop while police ranks were in hot pursuit of suspected criminal elements who were occupying a white motor car, the suspect turned out to be an unlicensed teenage driver.

Sheldon Williams

Police constables Sheldon Williams, 34, of Coldingen, East Coast Demerara, and Errol Williams, 41, of Glasgow Village, East Bank Berbice, yesterday, faced the court to answer a charge for the unlawful killing of Damien Belgrave.  They were not required to plead to the indictable charge.
However in a request for bail, Attorney-at-law Patrice Henry told the court that his client, Errol Williams, has 15 years work experience in the Police force and at the time of the incident he was attached to Tactical Services Unit (TSU) performing his duties.
Henry argued that the circumstances in which the defendants were arrested are questionable as an explosion reportedly took place at the scene of the crime in which witnesses could attest to.
Henry claimed that it would be hard to prove who actually did the shooting as both officers were armed. He also pointed out that no warhead was recovered from the scene of the crime.
Meanwhile Sheldon Williams’s Attorney, George Thomas, also endorsed the call for bail. Thomas said that his client assisted with police investigations and has no reason why he would not wish to ventilate the issue so as to clear his name of the allegations.
Thomas also told the court that “the strength of the evidence against the accused is weak and challengeable” in content.
Although Prosecutor Stephen Telford made no objection to bail he asked that bail be on condition that both accused lodge their passports and report to the Alberttown police station once every week.
After listening to submissions by both the Defense and the Prosecutor, the magistrate ruled that both accused be admitted to bail in the sum of $250,000. The matter is adjourned until January 22.

Errol Williams

If you find a comment distasteful or inappropriate, you can flag the comment and send us a report for immediate removal. Send report to
Kaieteur News reserves the rights to moderate any comment deemed inappropriate and is not responsible for the views expressed.

blog comments powered by Disqus

Latest News Headlines

>>> Click to see more...

Updated by Kaieteur News Personnel. All Rights Reserved. A GxMedia website solution.