Two fire victims laid to rest
- Unattended pot on stove may have caused deadly blaze
Two of the four persons who died in an early morning blaze last Saturday morning at Drysdale Street, Charlestown, were yesterday laid to rest.
The bodies of 23-year-old Abiola Kellman and her 4-year-old son Justin were made available for viewing at noon, before a touching service was held. It was an extremely emotional experience for the young woman’s immediately family – her mother and her three other siblings.
Kellman and her son’s remains were placed in one casket with the boy neatly placed under his mother’s arms, giving the appearance of the two peacefully sleeping.
Meanwhile, a source close to the Fire Service has revealed that the blaze may have started from a stove which was left unattended. The source said the fire started in the kitchen and a melted pot was found on the burnt out stove, suggesting that the fire began in that location.
Early Saturday morning, Kellman, her son and two other toddlers one-year-old Akesha Cordis and Kalesha Solomon, 3, died in the blaze.
Reports are that around 07:45hours, cries for help were heard emanating from the house. Allan Dick who lives behind the burnt building said he was at the time hanging out clothes when he heard an adult crying out for help, with children’s voices in the background.
He said after making checks, he noticed a small light at the side of the house which he realised was fire. Dick said his brother quickly aided him in getting buckets of water to douse the blaze. However the occupants in the house were trapped.