$80M house lot scam…Bogus Housing Ministry employee fingered during ID parade
- charges likely this week
Several victims of the $80M house lot scam yesterday identified a woman in custody as the individual to whom they handed various sums of cash in exchange for what turned out to be bogus Housing Ministry documents.
The woman is said to be an in-law of the group’s leader, and information suggests that she played a key role in the scam while posing as a Housing Ministry employee.
She has been in custody since Sunday and is likely to be charged this week following yesterday’s identification parade. A 25-year-old man who was arrested on Monday is also expected to appear in court on similar charges.
Several victims have identified the man as the individual who introduced them to the alleged ringleader and who took them to the bogus Housing Ministry employee.
A source said that at least 16 people told investigators that the suspect introduced them to the ringleader as someone who could help them to acquire houselots.
One of the victims reportedly gave police a cell phone recording of the detained man and the alleged ringleader outlining the house lot deal.
The alleged mastermind, who goes by the name Prem Persaud, ‘Prem Rampersaud’ and ‘Jeff’, has so far managed to elude police.
However, Kaieteur News understands that he has contacted some victims by telephone with the promise of refunding their monies.